Killifish agression?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evil Nick

Aquarium Advice Addict
My local lfs has gotten some great looking killis in and I was thinking of getting some but one of the more knowledgeable employees was telling me they're super aggressive and will team kill anything else in the tank.
Is this actually true? He compared them to small barracudas.
I think they were golden wonders from the appearance.

It's a planted 30 with some platys, mollies, and angle and blue acara

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Not had golden wonders but I have kept Aphyosemion and Fundolopanchax (sp?) In with guppies and there's no agression.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. I got a pair. Keep ya updated

My local lfs has gotten some great looking killis in and I was thinking of getting some but one of the more knowledgeable employees was telling me they're super aggressive and will team kill anything else in the tank.
Is this actually true? He compared them to small barracudas.
I think they were golden wonders from the appearance.

It's a planted 30 with some platys, mollies, and angle and blue acara

Yes his comparison to a barracuda was pretty close, they reach 6" and will eat anything that fits in their mouths, but it looks like none of your stock will ever fit in their mouths so you should be ok.

Golden wonders are that aggressive? Sounds like they get much bigger than the killis I'm used to also

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Ughhh not what was supposed to link. Sorry. Try www.chesapeakekillis.com or some variation

The Chesapeake Area Killifish Club ??

some of those are georgous fish. Could never find them around me. I placed them in my tank. I will say these fish have zero fear lol. One nipped my finger.
They dont seem comfortable yet and the male I got seems very lethargic. I know my water is perfect and I think hes just spooked from where he was the biggest fish in the tank at the store to now being dwarfed by a couple of mine. The female seems fairly comfortable but they are pretty much just hiding in my floating plants as of now.

Hopefully theyll warm up, or maybe I should get another pair in case?

Yes, I'm sorry that is the correct site I meant to share.

You know I found Golden Wonder killis here today. They stayed at the top of the tank just hanging out. They had quite a few males together and the lone female right next door. I did resist the urge. Lol

If you want to breed them it's always good to get extras in case something happens to one of the main pair. Killifish like to jump, lower water line and a lid work but I have still had a few just disappear on me. Snails or cats not sure which one.

Keep them covered or they won't be in the tank much. Even with a full bed of duckweek covering the surface they still think they can fly. Your livebearers should supply them with enough live food to chase. When I kept them I added a load of female Endlers and after 6 months maybe had two fry survive. The Killies were happy and well fed.

These are bueatiful fish yet not so common.

Back
Top Bottom