Killifish survives 15 minutes out of tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmw80

Aquarium Advice Addict
Yesterday, Daniel (the boyfriend) and I were doing a water change on the 46 gallon tank. This is when he decided he wanted to change the gravel from multi-colored to more natural looking gravel. The tank was 70% full, so he decided to drive to the lfs that was 10 minutes away and get the new gravel.

He left, and I stayed behind to clean the filter and keep an eye on things. Well, I kept, peering into the tank now and then (which had almost no visibility cause we stirred everything up (don't worry, it's crystal clear now)) - I thought to myself, I can't don't see the killifish....oh well, I am sure he is in there somewhere...just can't see him.

Daniel got back, and as we were working more on the tank, I mentioned to him that I hadn't seen the killifish in a while. He shrugged and started peering into the tank to see if he could locate the killifish. I turned back around to re-assemble the filter, and I heard him yell, "OH NO!".

I turned back around, and he was hysterical saying that the killifish had jumped out, and fallen in a crack inbetween the floor and wall, and his fingers were too big to get the poor guy out. Well, I of course jumped into action! Thank goodness for my fake nails! They are not sharp like real nails and are curved just enough where I could gently ease the poor fish out of the crack and return him to the tank.

Needless to say, we took the dust-bunnies off the poor guy, and have been keeping a very close eye on him ever since. He seems to be doing just fine, which is so amazing considering how long he was on the floor and in all the dust! We are so greatful, and will definitely keep a closer eye on him!

Well, that's my story!

Girly girls to the rescue! My BF thinks my manicures are a waste of time and $$. "But, honey, I might need to save a fish with these nails one day..." Don't think he's going to buy it.

Good job saving your killifish! Sounds like he is OK - I'll keep my manicured fingers crossed! :mrgreen:

It is NOT your fault Joey!

In the interum of when Daniel was at the store, and I had finished cleaning the filter, I was in chat talking to joey (possum). How he feels it's his fault is beyond me! How would he have known to say, "Hey, Lori, have you checked behind your fishtank and slightly to the right lately?". Exactly! He wouldn't have!

Joey actually found the species name for me a week or so ago....I can't remember, but here he is....

Very beautiful! I saw some baby killies (1/2 inch) in a store around here for $16 each. Ayah! So expensive.

Yeah, this guy was $20. (I wonder if the sw people are reading this going, $20 for a fish! that's nothing! freshys - puh!)

Holy cow; thats amazing. I expect to hear survival stories like that about plecs, shrimp and crayfish, but a KILLIE?? Wow! Thats some fish.

Wasn't that a green panchax? I seem to remember that conversation in the chat room...

Glad he's okay, Lori! He's such a pretty fish!

Yes, green panchax, that's it.

Tigerlily, no, that picture was taken a couple of weekends ago. I didn't want to stress the poor guy out more by hovering in front of him with a large object (camera). He still seems to be just great as of Sunday at 7pm....

Wow, that's an incredible story! 8O And a gorgeous fish! This topic has now made me interested in Killifish for the first time :lol:

*drool* :lol: They are indeed beautiful fish! I wonder why they are not very common? Because they are expensive?

Nail on the head...

I wondered that for a while... there are 4 reasons as I see it.

1) Killifish are very expensive

2) Killifish often live for a very short time

3) Killifish are renowned as a very unproductive family. They lay only a few eggs in comparison with other fish. This probably affects #1.

4) Some of the killies are extremely hard to keep as many are sensitive or have very hard-to-reproduce life cycles.

As far as I know, that about sums it up... But I'm sure there are others reasons out there. :D

Oh, and I drooled over the many amazing shots at AKA for hours back when I was selecting my fish. I was so sure I'd get some...... A project for the future!

Back
Top Bottom