Killing Parasites with Vinegar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcsguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a cycling 1g shrimp bowl so I can breed my cherry shrimp. I was cycling with fish food but I put too much in, and now I have detritus worms, hydra and maybe planaria. I want to start over but is it safe to put in vinegar to kill everything in it without harming the plants? Thanks.

I wouldn't do that. Your vinegar may harm the plants and kill off any bacteria you have. Can you starve the pests? No food means no life. Also, you can get yourself some pure ammonia and use that to cycle.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I wouldn't do that. Your vinegar may harm the plants and kill off any bacteria you have. Can you starve the pests? No food means no life. Also, you can get yourself some pure ammonia and use that to cycle.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How long do you think it would take for them to completely starve and die out? And I will buy a bottle of ammonia. Thanks.

Get a syringe and inject the substrate with hydrogen peroxide. It should knock out the worms anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks everyone. One last question (sorry haha): I usually just soak my new plants in old tank water. How do most of you disinfect yours before placing it in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom