Killing Pond Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
My small 3 gallon Betta tank has been infested with pond snails. I tried assassin snails hoping it would help but they don't seem to be making a dent. I have been picking them out when I can and that helps some but not really much. What can I use to kill these pond snails that wont hurt my fish or the 4 cherry shrimp I have in the tank? If there is nothing I am okay with losing the shrimp just not the fish.

Thanks in advance.

With Assassin snails you have to be patient, I was also like you when I had them and thought, "right, now start eating!!" it takes a while but when they get the taste of Pond snail they will run through that population in no time! Now I actually have to ask friends who have excess snails to give me some so I can give them the regular dose of a "fresh meal" lol

I have had them in there for about a month, and while I know they are eating (empty shells but tiny) they don't seem to be making much of a dent.
How long does ti normally take them?

They don't eat a whole lot but it I have 4 of them in my tank an its quite noticeable that they are devouring them. Due to the flow in my tank all the shells are blown to 1 area where I can easily siphon them out, my own snail graveyard :eek:

75748-albums12252-picture56656.jpg

It takes a while for them to make a sizable dent in the population but they are. This picture is about a 2 week supply of shells.

Mine didnt bother for a few months...then I also started feed tank less, so the fish got just the right amount and not much excess food went all over the tank, then the Assassin snails went from waiting for freebees...to actually hunting down the pond snails!

Other option, drop a slice of cucumber in, the pond snails will usually swarm over it, fish them out and dispose of them .

I don't think there are any chemical additives that you can add to water that would kill the snails and be considered "fish safe".

Certain loaches are good snail hunters, but all of them are WAY to big for a 3 gallon. Clown loaches come to mind and they grow to be 1' long.

Assassin snails and physically removing them are your best bets.

If you are anywhere near me, I'd say bag them up, I'll take them all! My loaches will have a feast! They ate absolutely all the snails in my tank so they have none left.

I am in Kansas so I am sure we aren't close lol.

Do any of you have any experience with No Planaria and it killing snails? I have some I keep on hand for my shrimp tank, but I haven't had an experience with snails with it. I have just read it can kill them?

I am in Kansas so I am sure we aren't close lol.

Do any of you have any experience with No Planaria and it killing snails? I have some I keep on hand for my shrimp tank, but I haven't had an experience with snails with it. I have just read it can kill them?

****! Well, good luck in finding your solution. I have zero experience in killing snails. :)

****! Well, good luck in finding your solution. I have zero experience in killing snails. :)

Ha! Oooops! Didn't know that was considered a naughty word. If anyone wonders, I said something beginning with d and rhyming with ram.

I find the lettuce trick works ok but I searched for a homemade snail trap on YouTube and found one that was really simple and effective. I used it for a few days. It got my infestation under control now I just put it in ever couple months when I start noticing pond snails. (I have mts snails also so it also helps keep their numbers in check also). The video is not great but it works

Back
Top Bottom