Kimchee jar aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheburashka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We were talking about using kimchee jars for aquariums in another post. I wanted to use some to hatch Triops for my aquarium. My plan was to cut a hole in the side of the jar then lay it on its side to give the animals more room horizontally. I just need to figure out a good way to cut the glass :S Has anyone else used something off the wall to keep pets in?

I moved this to the FW General Discussion forum for you, so hopefully people will have some input. I don't know what a kimchee jar is, but the $4 critter carriers from walmart are big and worked perfect for my triops hatching fun.

HTH

I don't know what a kimchee jar is either. But I do know that cutting glass is not easy and I would not recommend it unless you know what you're doing or can find somebody who does. I'd second the critter keeper.

At work we have a Voss water bottle aquarium with hornwort and two ramshorns. :)

A Kimchee jar is just going to be a sizeable jar normally. They come in all kinds of sizes, but it's a Korean staple in food, so it's bought by bulk normally. Cutting glass is not a good idea.

Is a Voss water bottle like the 5 gallon ones you usually find at work? Kimchee is Korean dish that comes in big 1 gallon jars.

kimchee is a fermented cabbage dish similar to kraut...traditionally made in a large clay urn...I cant picture this as an aquarium...cutting a hole on the side would just make a odd looking bowl

Kimchee, I tried that in OR. Boy oh boy.

Something bigger and more easily cut would be a clear plastic water jug.

I was hoping to use a Voss bottle as a CO2 Reactor because it is much nicer to look at than a soda bottle. I was told that they're to small at 750ml.

How do you use it as an aquarium? Is it upright?

pairustwo

All the kimchee jars I am used to are ceramic. LOL

Cutting a hole in the side of a glass jar would be tricky at best...I am not sure how you might go about it without shattering the jar.

pairustwo said:
I was hoping to use a Voss bottle as a CO2 Reactor because it is much nicer to look at than a soda bottle. I was told that they're to small at 750ml.

How do you use it as an aquarium? Is it upright?

pairustwo

8O 8O CO2 reactors and glass do not go together. That's a frag grenade just waiting to happen if something goes wrong.

It sounds like Mosaic has a plant and 2 snails in it, so you could have the bottle upright and it would look fine. Sort of like those fancy olive oil bottles with the stick of rosemary or some other herb in it. This one just happens to have a live plant and 2 snails. :)

You could drill clay very easily with a glass/tile bit. I have made lots of holes in tile to mount towel racks and such. Just put masking tape over both sides of the hole (before there is a hole).

If you need a bigger hole, you are on your own I guess. you might try using a rat tail file between drilled holes.

Yeah the jars I have are clear glass kind of like a pickle jar. Is there no safe way to cut something like that? I go to an engineering school so there has to be something here that will cut it if it exists.

Back
Top Bottom