Kinda sad - I try to help others, but can't get a response when I'm in need

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noviceafter2yea

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Need to treat for ich, move fish around?

I noticed a small white thing on the top fin of my male platy. I cannot tell if it is an ich spot or if it is from the little tear that is there. To be safe, I would like to treat for ich by raising the temp.

I also did a,very, very short salt bath, but I got scared and stopped.

I will gradually raise the temp from 80 fahrenheit to 86. My understanding is I will need to increase oxygen.

All water parameters are 0, 0, 20, 8. It is a 20 gallon with 2 platys, 3 bleeding heart tetras, 1 Molly, 1 guppy, and 2 julii cories. I know I need to increase the amount of cories and tetras, but my QT is occupied by fry.

Will the temp increase be harmful to the above mentioned fish?

For the aeration, I have an air stone in another newborn makeshift fry home that is 1 gallon - no filter. If I take the air stone from that - or the bubbler - is it unwise to move the newborn platy fry (13) into the 5 gallon QT with 10 about 10 week old fry so the newborns get enough filtration and oxygen?

I am cycling a 14 gallon that I will be transplanting the 10 week olds to once it is safe. Then the 13 newborns can grow a bit in the 5 gallon while I try to find homes.

I am in a pinch.

1)will housing 23 fry in a cycled 5 gallon be bad until the 14 gallon is cycled so I can use the bubbler in the ich tank?

2)are any of the fish in the ich tank at risk if I slowly raise the temp from 80 to 86?

Please respond, someone.

Actually u should probably raise ur temp to 88.... I would recommend adding some sort of extra aeration however u find it. Make sure u keep the temp raised for a minimum if a week after all spots are gone. Additionally do s really good job of cleaning (vaccuuming) close to ur substrate. That's where the ich likes to live

None of the fish you have listed will be in jeopardy. As for your fry and bubbler/aeration not sure if I would pull the stone without having a filter for tank. Check Craigslist or something, maybe you can find a cheap alternative.

None of the fish you have listed will be in jeopardy. As for your fry and bubbler/aeration not sure if I would pull the stone without having a filter for tank. Check Craigslist or something, maybe you can find a cheap alternative.

I took a risk and put all the newborns in with the 10 week old. The 10 week old may have big enough mouths which I am praying don't. I already lost a newborn, I'm thinking just from the switch. I can only find 5 of the now 12, but hope they are hiding in the nooks and crevices. The 5 gallon tank has enough aeration with the filter and it is just temporary until the 14 gallon is cycled.

I haven't put the bubbler into the 20 g yet - I'm thinking I should clean it first. No one is gasping for air since I raised it only 2 degrees. When I put the stone in, I will raise the temp higher tomorrow - still at slow intervals, but maybe more than 2 degrees. Thanks for the input.

Oh, Craigslist in Southern California has sparse pickins for good prices. Very sparse even with not,good,prices!

Back
Top Bottom