King British safe water - filter aid reviews??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Becki273

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started up my 90L tropical tank 24/07 with 4 x mollies and had read about this product and thought I'd give it a shot. I know it hasn't been long since setting up , just under three weeks but I've been using this product and found the cycle a breeze compared to the trouble I had with my 64L cold water tank. The water is tested daily and the levels are never far out, the worst they've been was yesterday pH 7.6, Ammonia 0.50, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0 after a 20L water change and using this product my Ammonia came back 0 and Nitrite remained at 0. I was wondering if anyone else had used this product and what their experiences have been with it?
I'm quite eager to add to the tank and just wondering should I wait the 6 weeks for the traditional cycle to complete or would I be able to add sooner? I've kept an eye on the mollies the whole way through and they appear perfectly healthy.

Any advice?? Thanks Becki

I started up my 90L tropical tank 24/07 with 4 x mollies and had read about this product and thought I'd give it a shot. I know it hasn't been long since setting up , just under three weeks but I've been using this product and found the cycle a breeze compared to the trouble I had with my 64L cold water tank. The water is tested daily and the levels are never far out, the worst they've been was yesterday pH 7.6, Ammonia 0.50, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0 after a 20L water change and using this product my Ammonia came back 0 and Nitrite remained at 0. I was wondering if anyone else had used this product and what their experiences have been with it?
I'm quite eager to add to the tank and just wondering should I wait the 6 weeks for the traditional cycle to complete or would I be able to add sooner? I've kept an eye on the mollies the whole way through and they appear perfectly healthy.

Any advice?? Thanks Becki
Hey Becki. I'm not a fan of adding chemicals to my tank unnecessarily. Those 'aids' are hit and miss really, some people swear by them and others think they are just a gimmick. Maybe they do benefit the tank slightly but I'm on the side of them just being gimmicks. I have used similar types of products years back but don't bother with them now. I read somewhere a post(not here) from a scientist. She said to buy proper BB for your tank, it needs to be refrigerated and has a very short shelve life, so probably next to impossible to get in a LFS.
I wouldn't add any more stock just yet. Wait for the cycle to complete.
You mention another tank. Why not use some filter media to the new tank and speed up the cycle. It will drastically shorten the cycle.....

That's what I had read but curiosity got the better of me so thought I'd give it a shot, so far the levels haven't rocketed and have pretty much remained level. The ammonia and nitrite remover element to it kind of sold it to me an the mollies seem perfectly healthy even though they are going through the cycle. I was wondering about using some of the filter media from the other tank but I haven't long changed them probably about a month ago, would they still speed up the cycle?

That's what I had read but curiosity got the better of me so thought I'd give it a shot, so far the levels haven't rocketed and have pretty much remained level. The ammonia and nitrite remover element to it kind of sold it to me an the mollies seem perfectly healthy even though they are going through the cycle. I was wondering about using some of the filter media from the other tank but I haven't long changed them probably about a month ago, would they still speed up the cycle?
When you say, you haven't long changed them, do you mean the media in them or the whole filter. What's the other filter you have???

Back
Top Bottom