Kribensis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swampman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, My Krbenisis spawn and now I have babies. I thought the father was eating them. I read that Kribs take care of their young. Today I still have the babies. Yippy.. They are in a community tank now. Can I leave them in the tank or should I move them? What should I feed them? I do have baby fish food. Can I just feed them like the other fish in the tank when they get bigger? Also right now I am due to to a water change. I do not want to upset the parents. Should I just add the water from evaporation?

Attachments

• 041A9483-2 copy.jpg
    041A9483-2 copy.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 041A9483 copy.jpg
    041A9483 copy.jpg
    224.2 KB · Views: 13
Leave the babies with the adults for at least one month, or until the babies no longer go back to the parents at night or when scared.

You can feed them newly hatched brineshrimp, microworms and powdered fry food. These are usually available from pet shops and the following link has some information on brineshrimp and microworms.
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f82/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish-380381.html#post3578561

Do your water changes but take water from the opposite side of the tank to where the adults are. If the adults are in the middle of the tank, just syphon water from one side. Don't bother gravel cleaning the substrate for a couple of weeks unless the babies are on one side, then gravel clean the opposite side.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Make sure the new water has a similar temperature to the aquarium water.

I haven't seen the babies in a day. How do I know when the babies are in the mouth of the parents? The parents are chasing away all the other fish. I believe the babies must be around.

I haven't seen the babies in a day. How do I know when the babies are in the mouth of the parents? The parents are chasing away all the other fish. I believe the babies must be around.

You can tell by the shape of the mouth. It will look like it's holding a mouth full of marbles. Truth be told, I've never seen mouth brooding with my K pulchers but there may be mouth brooders among the other varieties. They will move the fry via the mouth but not hold them there while they develop ( which is mouth brooding). What they will do is herd and hide the fry into areas to keep them safe. If they are showing aggression/ protection to the other fish, odds are the fry are close to where the parents are. (y)

Back
Top Bottom