Kribs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mosaic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked out a pair from the LFS that they said had been doing some "funny business", really really really hoping they would breed. And for three months of meticulous water changes and high quality foods, they did nothing. For a while my female actually schooled with the tetras (yes, really). I think they tried a time or two before but the apple snail invaded the flower pot, so they spent a lot of time checking out other locations. So long that I just gave up. I didn't change the water for a few weeks (plumbing problems) and then I went out of town for a while. I think they only got flake foods while I was gone. I got back in on Thurs night and didn't even turn on the light until today, and... babies! Lol. About 2 dozen, but they're hard to count. Apparently kribs prefer total neglect to proper care. :roll: But I'm sure all that effort that went into conditioning them earlier had something to do with it too.
That's what I love about all this. You have total control over everything, yet in the end, its up to the fish. Such a paradox.
They are in a 55g at 78 degrees F. I don't know the water parameters; will test it soon. There's also a big pleco and 4 Alestes tetras in there. Not yet sure if I should move those guys or the kribs. Maybe I'll just keep everyone where they are. It's worked so far.

So, hooray! Cigars for everyone!

Update: pH 6.7, GH 75. Moved the tetras, as everyone else in the household was worried for their wellbeing. I didn't want to because a) they are a huge pain to catch, and b) they live in a totally different tank level and haven't dared come close to the babies. But I caved. Fry have had some egg yolk while waiting for the bbs to hatch. But obviously there's some infusoria or something in there, as they're constantly munching on something very tiny. They're so cute. :)

Congrads on the fry, Now that they've strated they'll have new fry every 11days. If you pull the fry they have now.

Heh, that is very tempting, Weasel. I really just wanted the experience of raising one brood, but I may not get off that easy. :) I'd like to put my community back together once these babies were grown, but if the kribs are going to keep spawning and harassing the other fish then maybe they need a tank of their own.

Aww, and I was just getting over the MTS too.

Mosaic said:
Heh, that is very tempting, Weasel. I really just wanted the experience of raising one brood, but I may not get off that easy. :) I'd like to put my community back together once these babies were grown, but if the kribs are going to keep spawning and harassing the other fish then maybe they need a tank of their own.

Aww, and I was just getting over the MTS too.

Shame, shame, shame, LOL. Didn't you know you never really get over MTS? LOL

There's no cure for MTS just us here at AA and a 12 step program. I learned awhile back not to fight it. That just makes it worst.

You're right. I've relapsed. And this sounds like as good excuse as any to go get a new tank. :D
I had the pair in a 10 g by themselves but they weren't happy. I'm thinking a 20 long for them now, but I'd like to add a few other fish so they don't hide all the time. Sound like a good route?
Or would the 10 still work? I'm fighting the MTS, guys, I'm trying. lol

With Kribs adding a couple of extra fish is a good ideal. It help them to get over being shy and they sem to injoy the company more then you'd thank. But in a 10g I don't thank that's a good ideal as they are really terrortoral. They would likely hurt or even kill another fish when there with fry, so sorry I didn't help you with the MTS just pushed you back in. But I'd get another tank if your going to add more fish.

I have 13 baby kribs that are 2 weeks old. They are still with their parents in a 10 G tank with 3 neons. The neons are charged at but not one has been killed. The babies are getting big and i will be giving them away fairly soon to a friend. Wish I had room for another tank too! I do have a 25 gallon community tank too.

Here's a couple pictures of my 1 month old fry. Fry # 2 of 9
ee0cb26c.jpg

ee0cb1fa.jpg

ee0cb20f.jpg

So cute! I can't believe how much they look like their parents after just a month. How big are they?
Mine aren't quite there yet, but they've gotten noticeably bigger after just a week. I'm down to 8. I think I miscounted in the beginning, but I know I've lost at least one for sure before I covered the filter intake. Since then the numbers have been stable so I'm pretty pleased. I've never put this kind of effort into raising a brood before (I've mostly done livebearers). They are my surrogate children. :)

Mosaic said:
You're right. I've relapsed. And this sounds like as good excuse as any to go get a new tank. :D
I had the pair in a 10 g by themselves but they weren't happy. I'm thinking a 20 long for them now, but I'd like to add a few other fish so they don't hide all the time. Sound like a good route?
Or would the 10 still work? I'm fighting the MTS, guys, I'm trying. lol

And there's no such thing as not enough room, lol. There's always dual stands, lol. Can always double up, lol. :twisted:

The kribs are right at 1/2 in in size and growing faster now that there in a 20g on there own, Well almost on there own there with 9 female bett fry and 5 bristal nose babys I just recived.

congratulations. It's so exciting.. What a nice surprise. Be sure to thank them for the new experience :)>.

Weasel, maybe you (or some other krib parent) can answer this for me. It seems like the parents have grown intolerant of the babies, chasing them into little hidey holes. The parents themselves are acting as though they're getting ready to spawn again, so its time for the little guys to move to their grow out tank.
When I went to pull them out, though, there were only four. :( I pulled all the decor out looking for them, but there weren't any more. So now I'm left with half of what I had at last count. Is it possible they've been eaten? I didn't think it would be a problem - all I've ever heard is what good parents kribs are. I guess only to a point. The only other things in there are a pleco and some snails.
I'm pulling out the next spawn as soon as they're free swimming.

Yes the parents are trying to spawn again so the little guys where in the way so to say. Once the parent start spawning again the male will see the fry as compatistion and try to lose them. I always pull my fry on the 3 to 4 day after freeswimming. By this time the mother and father have showed the fry everything they need to know to make them good parents or how to take care of fry when they get older.
I have two females with fry that should be free swimming by today or tomorrow at the latest. Once they come out of the cave. I'll let moma have them for a while like I said then they'll be pulled cause shortly after that . The parents will be ready to spawn and the babys will be hurt if not.

Ha, I was under the impression that leaving the babies in would postpone the spawning, but obviously not. That's interesting what you say about the male, since he was the one chasing off the babies. Thanks for the insight. I learned something today :)

My kribs second spawn became free swimming today. Thinking they weren't due for a another day or two, I was trying to clean the tank before they started swimming all over the place and made my job more difficult. I didn't even know they were already out until the daddy started trying to rip my hand to pieces. Those little mouths sure can pack a bite when they need to.

I got a short little video clip. The download time may or may not be worth the 4 seconds of adorableness.

Back
Top Bottom