Kuhli Loach advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mtl Parrothead

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi

I am looking to add a school of Kuhli Loaches to my tank but I’m reading they are escape artist I have a good cover with one exception where in HOB filter is

IMG_4026.jpg

Is this going to be an issue?

Thanks

I have kept Kuhli’s for a long time and never had one escape. The only time they even get near the top of the tank is if they are stressed and manically swimming up and down. Usually a water problem. Provide them with friends and lots of cover and you should be fine. IMG_0338.jpg

Thanks I keep hearing different things never had Kuhlis before. Thinking of adding some caves today when I pick them up for extra hiding spots plus looking to get dwarf cichlids so need them anyways

Just make sure you have a sponge on the filter intake. I see no problem with the opening where the filter sits.

Just make sure you have a sponge on the filter intake. I see no problem with the opening where the filter sits.

Are they that fragile to get stuck on the intake?

Well picked up 8 today, all the lfs had will hopefully get more. Hope that’s enough for them to be less shy and school well

Here they are getting acclimatized earlier today

IMG_4033.jpg

Are they that fragile to get stuck on the intake?

Well picked up 8 today, all the lfs had will hopefully get more. Hope that’s enough for them to be less shy and school well

Here they are getting acclimatized earlier today

View attachment 312490

They tend to like to explore where there is suction and small dark places. I think 8 should do well and not be shy. They like catappa leaves!

I have one that’s getting me a little nervous keeps swimming upside down. It was hanging motionless vertically in the tank went to net it out and it darted off. Is that normal with them or should I be worried?

Did you drip acclimate them?

I didn’t, floated the bag for 30 min then added some tank water, then 10 min added water x 3.

Turned on the lights this morning it was dead others seem to be good from what I saw they’re still getting comfortable in the tank

I’m going to check water parameters in a couple hours and do a large pwc

Did you drip acclimate them?

I didn’t, floated the bag for 30 min then added some tank water, then 10 min added water x 3.

Turned on the lights this morning it was dead others seem to be good from what I saw they’re still getting comfortable in the tank

I’m going to check water parameters in a couple hours and do a large pwc

Kuhlis do not like big shifts in water parameters. Ph, temp, hardness etc. so try to have it match pretty close if you are doing a big one.

Kuhlis do not like big shifts in water parameters. Ph, temp, hardness etc. so try to have it match pretty close if you are doing a big one.

That’s the plan I use a digital thermometer, ph between tap and what’s in tank pretty close. My only issue will be if the hardness differs much.

If the water tests come back well ( just about to break out the master kit) I’ll keep it to 20-30% max

Back
Top Bottom