Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Minimum tank size for a group of 5 Kuhli Loaches
10 gallon+ 2 28.57%
20 gallon TALL+ 4 57.14%
20 gallon LONG+ 1 14.29%
29 gallon+ 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-28-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Kuhli Loach Tank Size

As I have done more research into the topic of Kuhli Loaches and the minimum tank size I have found more and more conflicting information. Lets see what your opinion is for a school of 5.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

20 gallon minimum, 30 would be better

When I got my first 5, I had them in a 30 gallon and they utilized every inch of real estate.... now I have a dozen in a 46 and same thing, they use the entire tank swimming up to the top and then surfing at an angle down to the bottom...... so, for me, it's not their size, it's their behavior that warrants a larger tank size.

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'd say 20H minimum, that is JMO. Of course, I always have much larger groups than 5 at a time. LOL.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 03:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

20 Gallon high isn't much floor space, but set up properly it is plenty of size. Kuhli loaches like staying close to each other, and sometimes get frantic when separated. I have a handful in my 20g long, hardly see them, but are fun to watch when they all come out of the cave to scavenge.
That's my 20g long last month, swords are in place of the vals now, but the Kuhli Kaves are on the right, glass catfish tunnels in the middle, and the shrimp hangout on the left most of the time. Tetras go everywhere. (Sorry for dirty glass lol)

Tags
kuhli, kuhli loach, loach, tan, tank size

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com