Kuhli Loach Tank Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Minimum tank size for a group of 5 Kuhli Loaches

• 10 gallon+

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • 20 gallon TALL+

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • 20 gallon LONG+

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • 29 gallon+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
As I have done more research into the topic of Kuhli Loaches and the minimum tank size I have found more and more conflicting information. Lets see what your opinion is for a school of 5.

20 gallon minimum, 30 would be better

When I got my first 5, I had them in a 30 gallon and they utilized every inch of real estate.... now I have a dozen in a 46 and same thing, they use the entire tank swimming up to the top and then surfing at an angle down to the bottom...... so, for me, it's not their size, it's their behavior that warrants a larger tank size.

I'd say 20H minimum, that is JMO. Of course, I always have much larger groups than 5 at a time. LOL.

20 Gallon high isn't much floor space, but set up properly it is plenty of size. Kuhli loaches like staying close to each other, and sometimes get frantic when separated. I have a handful in my 20g long, hardly see them, but are fun to watch when they all come out of the cave to scavenge.
47072-albums2862-picture18603.jpg

That's my 20g long last month, swords are in place of the vals now, but the Kuhli Kaves are on the right, glass catfish tunnels in the middle, and the shrimp hangout on the left most of the time. Tetras go everywhere. (Sorry for dirty glass lol)

Back
Top Bottom