Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-29-2009, 02:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Kuhli Loaches

Recently got back into the hobby,hadn't had a tank since 1985.Then Maureen got me a Betta for my birthday back in June and started the addiction all over again.Decided to get a Marineland Eclipse 6 to replace the bowl back in October along with a heater,driftwood,and some live plants.Everything has been going good so was thinking of getting "fin"(that's the Betta)some tank mates.Thought kuhlies might be a good match,but can't seem to find them-tried the chain stores,LFS,and a place about an hour away that is known for haveing everything from guppies to the rarest exotics,no kuhlies brown or striped.Back in the 60's-80's they were everywhere.Are they endangered and not available or just fallen out of favor?Was thinking of getting a couple of Skunk Botias instead but thinking the 6 gallon might be a little small.If anyone knows a shop with striped Kuhlies in Eastern Pennsylvania please reply.Thanks!

Old 12-29-2009, 03:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

ask if they can order you some. they are common fish just that stores dont stock every fish.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:36 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
lots of foks here have khuli loaches. Quite popular until you have to net them, so I hear. Do a ring around and if there are none about, ask if your nearest one will order them for you.
marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:21 AM   #4
cwt
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Don't know about PA, but they're available here in OH. Mine hide all the time... not the most exciting fish, imo.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

i looked for some at my lfs and they said they quit stocking them because they always hid and they couldnt find them when they had somebody wanting to buy them

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:38 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Agreed that they're not the most exciting fish. I can't even tell you how many times I've said to my girlfriend "Well, I guess the Kuhli loaches must have died, I haven't seen them for a week." And then 2 days later....there they are!

My LFS carries them consistently but has to keep them in a non-aquascaped tank for the same reasons - they hide and they are a ***** to net!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Here in Pittsburgh quite a few shops have them. I personally have three striped ones in my 10g. I would ask around town and see if someone can order you some.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have the brown ones and they are some of the funniest fish I own. They are out all the time swimming laps around the stuff in the tank.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Khulis are still available. I have both black and striped khulis in my 29g. The striped came from a LFS and the blacks came from Petsmart. You'll probably have to ask for khulis. They're not usually visible in the store tanks.

Tags
kuhli, kuhli loach, loach, loaches

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com