Kuhli Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swankyspoon

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have any experience with these guys? I was told one or two might fit in well with 6 Serpae Tetra in a 10 g. Would this overstock? Do Kuhli Loaches do okay alone?

Also, do you have any other suggestions of something that would fit well with the Serpae?

Don't get kuhli loaches they would not work at all for your tank I'll gove you reasons if you wish but I'm on my iPod touch so it's hard to type. You could get African dwarf frogs if you want, I'd get a pair. Do some research on them to find out if you like them and they require some special feeding. I don't know anything about that specific kind of tetras I'll do some research and give you some more options. Also what filter do you have, do you have a heater if so what temp, an is you tank wide or tall. Anything taller than 1 foot and they suffocate. And they stay at the bottom so wide is preferable even though they aren't extremely active. Their nocturnal, well most of them some from the store might have adapted to day time life lol.

Don't get kuhli loaches they would not work at all for your tank I'll gove you reasons if you wish but I'm on my iPod touch so it's hard to type. You could get African dwarf frogs if you want, I'd get a pair. Do some research on them to find out if you like them and they require some special feeding. I don't know anything about that specific kind of tetras I'll do some research and give you some more options. Also what filter do you have, do you have a heater if so what temp, an is you tank wide or tall. Anything taller than 1 foot and they suffocate. And they stay at the bottom so wide is preferable even though they aren't extremely active. Their nocturnal, well most of them some from the store might have adapted to day time life lol.

First, serpaes will eventually be too large given their activity and aggression level for a 10G tank. Kuhlis would work fine however if stocked appropriately, 4-6 max depending on other stock.

Now to the bolded parts... No. ADFs are a terrible idea to put into a tank with serpaes (or really any other fast moving darty fish). Do the research BEFORE giving the advice.

Total hogwash. Please cite a source if you are going to put out "information" such as that.

Well the current situation is that I am stuck with the Serpae, and cannot get a larger tank. I have heard mixed opinions on keeping Serpae in a 10 g. I will have to keep them in the 10 g, and get nothing else.

I have done tons of research on kuhli loaches and adfs. But I know nothing about serpaes or any other tetra for that matter. I was simply giving him an idea and he could some further research on them. And yes the adf's are close to blind and terrible swimmers and they have to come up to the top to breath so a tank that's really tall would cause them to suffocate. As for kuhli loaches, they need to be kept in groups and you probably don't have the space in your 10g for a group of them. And they thrive in sand gravel can damage them. Assuming you have gravel, not sand. If toy have sand then you can ignore this reason. Also what filter do you have. They can easily get stuck in the filter. So if you get rid of the serpae tetras, change to sand and change your filter, yes you would be able to keep them. But under your circumstances it wouldn't be possible for them to thrive. I was simply suggesting the idea of adf and that he/she should do some research on them. I was not saying saying they would be perfect! If I did it was a typo! I have no experience with serpaes or any other kind of tetra and know nothing about them I was simply suggesting based upon what I know. And I can't give a perfect answer because I don't know every aspect of his tank.the more detail I get, the more accurate advice I can give. All I was told was it had 6 serpaes and it's a 10g. Based on what I know mystery snails would be good to research if you have hard, non acidic water.
First, serpaes will eventually be too large given their activity and aggression level for a 10G tank. Kuhlis would work fine however if stocked appropriately, 4-6 max depending on other stock.

Now to the bolded parts... No. ADFs are a terrible idea to put into a tank with serpaes (or really any other fast moving darty fish). Do the research BEFORE giving the advice.

Total hogwash. Please cite a source if you are going to put out "information" such as that.

Kuhlii is one of my favorites. Very cute in my opinion. Very peaceful and thats a fact. However, these are mainly bottom dwellers that feel more comfortable slithering into small spaces. Basicly they are timid and skidish so they hide a lot. When I do have an opportunity to see them swim around, I actually get eyestrain as because they are fast and swim like eels. I wouldn't mix them with frogs, eventhough I think frogs would be too slow too catch kuhlii.

As for serpae, these are mainly top dwellers, but prefer a planted aquarium. Peacefull fish that a fairly small originating from S.America. Kulhii are from Asia, Indonesia to be specific.

I mixed dianos in one of my tanks with 2 kuhlii. At first the dianos chased them, but they don't anymore and had them in there already for 2 weeks.

I have 6 kuhli's in my 55g with 9 serpae's and some other fish, no problems at all. as long as they have plenty of hiding spaces they stay plenty active

Back
Top Bottom