Kuhli Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 8 or 10 Kuhli Loaches in my 55g and I do not see them often at all. I know they are shy in smaller groups, but why aren't they coming out much during the day? I am aware that they are truly nocturnal, but I also know that some people get to see theirs in the middle of the day. They only way I can coax them out of the bottom dwellers' hangout (cave) is with sinking wafers. Any ideas, may try a few more? Tank is moderately planted and nitrates stay around 10 to 15ppm.

I have three and mine come out every once in a while. What are you feeding them exactly?

Nothing in the tank even pays them any attention, tankmates are: 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 1 Clown Pleco, 2 German Blue Rams, 15 Glowlight Tetras, 3 Guppies, 8 Marbled Hatchetfish, and the king of the tank 1 Pearl Gourami.

Like I said, I've never seen any issues with the Kuhlis. I know a lot of people will say to watch keeping them with Rams, but mine haven't spawned so they are staying pretty docile. I feed them a varied diet of algae wafers, shrimp wafers, bloodworms on occasion, NLS pellets, and sometimes a snail that I see on a plant (removed from shell and they go to town).

I'm just surprised that I only see them after feeding time or at night. I didn't have any problems seeing them in my 20H when I had about 6 of them.

I actually purchased 7 of these little guys Friday night for my 46 gallon and I haven't seen them since! I think my active fish in the tank may have spooked them a little bit. Randomly I see a kuhli head pop out from under the driftwood. I guess it makes it more exciting when one decides to come out haha.

adadkins1 said:
I have 8 or 10 Kuhli Loaches in my 55g and I do not see them often at all. I know they are shy in smaller groups, but why aren't they coming out much during the day? I am aware that they are truly nocturnal, but I also know that some people get to see theirs in the middle of the day. They only way I can coax them out of the bottom dwellers' hangout (cave) is with sinking wafers. Any ideas, may try a few more? Tank is moderately planted and nitrates stay around 10 to 15ppm.

I have one and I couldn't find him so I was looking around and apparently there was a broken mountain piece that had a crack in it and he found his way through the 2/3" crack and that is where my loach and my little catfish stay.... Even though there is 2 tunnel like log things one hollow decoration a tea cup with a peice missing from it and a tree stump with like 7 holes for them to go in and out of lol those to little fish are a mess ;) gotta love em

Yeah, they are funny little guys. I have gone in and looked at my tank with a flashlight at night and I only counted 6 or so. I don't know if some of them have died or if they just don't come out much. I'm tempted to get 5 more because they are just such great little characters. Plus they don't do much to the bioload.

Back
Top Bottom