Kuhli Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Turtle.Keith

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
How would you go about setting up a 10g with 2 Kuhli Loaches?
I was thing the pair of loaches and a couple shrimp?

Khuli's are happy in groups of 5 or more and in a bit larger tank.

And the Khuli's will kill and eat shrimp.

The internet is kinda all over the place in tank recommendations. I have successfully kept 6 in a 20 long. Lots of places to hide with rocks wood and plants.

No. Kuhlis need a group of at least six, and a minimum 20g long. (Or equivalent footprint).

In saying that, you could put a couple in a 10g.

You'd never see them as they need a group to show off their natural behaviour. Anything less and they'll hide away and you'll not see them, they'll be stressed and have a shorter lifespan.

All we can do is provide the information. It's up to you what you do with it.

No. Kuhlis need a group of at least six, and a minimum 20g long. (Or equivalent footprint).

In saying that, you could put a couple in a 10g.

You'd never see them as they need a group to show off their natural behaviour. Anything less and they'll hide away and you'll not see them, they'll be stressed and have a shorter lifespan.

All we can do is provide the information. It's up to you what you do with it.
+1....20gal long minimum

It's hard to imagine but those little wigglers grow up to get pretty big. 4". IMG_7615.jpg

IMG_9038.jpg

Sand on the bottom. There is open space under the large piece of wood to the left. Lots of plants. The smaller rocks in the center are several smaller rocks stacked with gaps the Khuli's can wander through. The large rock on the right has a cave about grapefruit size. They have tons of stuff the wiggle through.

I have a circulation pump on a timer low in the tank to keep debris from accumulating and push it towards the filter intake.

And not too many hours of high light.

View attachment 298879

Sand on the bottom. There is open space under the large piece of wood to the left. Lots of plants. The smaller rocks in the center are several smaller rocks stacked with gaps the Khuli's can wander through. The large rock on the right has a cave about grapefruit size. They have tons of stuff the wiggle through.

I have a circulation pump on a timer low in the tank to keep debris from accumulating and push it towards the filter intake.

And not too many hours of high light.

What plants would you put in there?

So many options on plants. I have a mix of rooted in the substrate and tied to rocks or wood. The Khuli's get into all of it. IMG_8272.jpg
IMG_7472.jpg
IMG_7887.jpg

$300-$400
Lights being the most expensive
Canister & media
Plants
Heater
Fish
Wood
Tank
Rocks
Sand

Depends on what type of plants.
You can keep many plants with low light and then see if you want to commit the time and money for more difficult plants. If you go with anubias, Java ferns and Java moss your light would be OK to start, and there are many more you could keep with it.

I'm at 4 for now, but new (in 6 months) grandbaby needs a snail/endler/least killifish tank. Lol

Back
Top Bottom