kuhli loaches mating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cichlid Kid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok. So i have these 7 kuhli loaches in a 29gal. Along with a pair of gbr's. Even when my gbr's are spawning things are relatively calm. The kuhli's seem to know where the danger zone is and stay away. The tank is heavily planted with hygrophilia and java fern so the kuhli's use all levels of the water column, not just the substrate. Well today i woke up and made my a.m. rounds turning all aqua. lights on and i noticed a pair of my kuhli's doing this serpentine dance all over. I wasn't just the one pair either they were all doing it. Now I'm used to them chasing each other around they play like that all the time. This was diffrent. They seemed to be hugging each other and the pairs that were doing this little dance were definitely male and female. I got all these guys at the same time last november. They were so tiny back then but now the females clearly are twice the size of the males. So, my question is, is this some sort of spawning ritual or mating dance that they're doing? I think they're almost full grown but are they even old enough to spawn? Or maybe they're just practicing?

If anyone has experienced this behavior or knows what exactly I'm talking about I'd appreciate it if you'd share your experiences or wisdom so that i might better understand.
Thanks All:)

Back
Top Bottom