Kuhli loaches with Yoyos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaiiterpillar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've always desired to have Kuhli loaches in my first aquarium, though after months of no success finding any in my local area, I settled on some yoyo/pakistani loaches. These have now fully grown and are strong boistrous fish that love to play! However, knowing my want for Kuhlis, but nothing about aquariums, my dad managed to find some and purchased two as a gift.

I've had them in quarantine tank for almost a week now, however one unfortunately passed (nothing wrong with the water, apparently its common for kuhlis to pass within the first week?) though the other is strong and healthy.

However the huge size difference between the little kuhli and the yoyos has me worried that it may be seen as snack rather than tank mate material.

Is there any issues with putting a kuhli baby in with fully grown yoyos?

If so how long will it take for a kuhli to grow to a decent size to house them together, as my quarantine tank is only 20litres and I'd much prefer it in the large aquarium with much more space!

(Also I am aware Kuhlis are group species, I've already spoke to my dad about where he got them and plan on getting a few more if this one survives~ )
Also appologies if this is the wrong section! I'm totally new to this site and have no idea how to navigate it yet :p

As long as you have enough YoYo's to keep each other busy, probably no problem cohabitating with the Kuhli Loach. Make sure there is plenty of decor for the Kuhli to retreat to. I think theres a good chance you'll eventually like the YoYo's just as much as the Kuhli.

As long as you have enough YoYo's to keep each other busy, probably no problem cohabitating with the Kuhli Loach. Make sure there is plenty of decor for the Kuhli to retreat to. I think theres a good chance you'll eventually like the YoYo's just as much as the Kuhli.
I currently have 3 yo-yos, they tend to be very boisterous in their play and tend to stick with each other rather than playing with other species, recently heavily planted the tank too along with having some artificial decor huts (which will be replaced as soon as I get my hands on some more wood and slate)

would that be enough to keep them away from the kuhli?

And yeh I love my yo-yos now I have them :) were never a first choice but certainly brought the tank to life.

All the on line articles advised that I needed to have at least six Y. Modesta (Red Tails) Loaches to have peaceful harmony. I searched all the LFS in my area and only found four. That was a year ago, haven't found any more since. They turned out to be colorful, hyperactive, great scavengers, that don't bother any other fish. They behave just like your YO YO's. I happened upon a rare group of baby Berdmorei Tiger Loaches, (very expensive) Again all the available info said at least six. I bought 10. Within three weeks the dominant Tiger Loach killed all his siblings. You can't believe all info provided on line.
My point being; I think you have things under control. Its probably a good idea to increase the size of both groups of Loaches but no need to rush. Be sure to post pics.
Here are some pics of my Loaches.

Attachments

• 20180823_093109.jpg
    20180823_093109.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 106
  • 20180815_065522.jpg
    20180815_065522.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 195
I’ve not kept the kuhli’s but the yoyo’s have all been fine with other fish, including fry and sick fish. Certainly an inquisitive lot!, but yet to see them harm anything.

Back
Top Bottom