Kuhli Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saffikeagan

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I'm just flat out addicted to the thought of having some Kuli Loaches. I'm going to get three of them and if they need a bigger tank in a few years, they'll get one! I'm even going to change out my substrate from the general aquarium gravel to pool filter sand. I've got all the hiding places and artfully broken clay pots ready to go. I just need to find out how long my tank needs to be established before introducing the loaches. I've read that they do not like newly established tanks so I am wondering how long Sammie S. Beta is going to have his reign over the entire tank before I introduce Athos, Porthos, and Aramis (or maybe eenie, meenie, and miney, or--I'm getting ahead of myself)?

I'd let the tank be at least 1 month up after cycling. When I had to do an emergency tank setup for them they flipped out and stopped eating for a few days.

If you do a fishless cycle you can add fish once both ammonia and nitrite go to zero and you see some nitrates. If you want to wait you will have to continue to add ammonia to the tank or the
beneficial bacteria will die.

Do you have a tank already set up? What size? Kuhli loaches don't get very large.

Kuhli loaches are great! I have 10.

I have been fishlessly cycling a 14 gallon. I figure 3 Kuhlis (max size a debatable 4 inches) and Sammie S. Beta will do nicely in the tank so long as they can come to some compromise on current strength.

I have put Sammie in the tank now, and he is on his first night of exploration.

Do Kuhlis mind a bit of salt? I added some salt to the tank cause his temporary home had a bit of salt in it and I wanted to make the change over as stress-free as possible. I've got about 2 tbs in the 14 gallon tank which is well below the 1tbs/5gallon recommended. I can always work the salt levels down to near zero in the next month with my PWCs if necessary, but I read that some salt is good for Betas.

Why are you adding salt?
1/2 tbs per 10G is an OK dose for nitrite. Did you keep adding salt to the other home? Dont add more salt, just remove it with small PWC's.

Last edited:
In general I feel that salt should be considered a medication in a FW aquarium and only used when necessary to treat an disease like ich. Some fish are sensitive to it, and if a recall correctly loaches fall into this category. I'd slowly remove the salt with water changes that don't contain salt.

Thanks for the advise. I had salt in with Sammie originally cause he was a bit stressed the first few days I had him and not eating etc. I read somewhere that a bit of salt could help de-stress him.

Back
Top Bottom