L007 Pleco Bargin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was at my LFS last night getting my water tested and to follow up from my ammonia spike and out of whack cycle last week. The biospira worked and my 55gl is cycled again and everything is good.

Decided to prowl around the tanks of course and look since I am planning a restock. I have been toying with the idea of less small fish and buying another pleco. No intentions to buy, yet.

I see this cute black pleco about 4 1/2 inches long with white spots sitting up on the pvc pipe of the filter towards the top of the tank. Big eye staring at me, that little mouth just a going and he was begging to get out of that tank. His fins were badly beaten and he looked just terrified. The rest of the plecos in there were on the bottom and appeared really healthy but this one was struggling.

"What kind of pleco is this?"
"I think a galaxias... vampire pleco... yeah he is pretty beaten up"
He explains to me that he can't really put him in another tank he would just get picked on more. They just got a large shipment and things were pretty full.
He offers me the pleco for $20.00 instead of $49.00. It peeks my interest and I am okay with that price.

He catches the pleco to look him over more and we see one of his eyes is looking rough. The eye is clear but around the eye is damaged. It looks as if another pleco had sucked on it.

At this time he offers me the pleco for $10 says he is willing to take a loss if I wanted to give him a chance. I told him to bag it.

He has been home for 8hrs. His breathing has slowed down at least to more normal pleco breathing. He is moving around the tank at times as well. I am keeping the tank dark and just allowing him to relax.

half dose melafix to start. Taking it slow for the poor guy. Lots of airbubbles and 78F temp.

I had planned on buying a 29gl QT tank since I have only been using a 10gl but I need a bigger one anyways. I went out and got a 29gl QT in a hurry just for him last night from. Seeded it with filter media and rocks and used biospira so he should be fine with out a cycle. Test the water everyday for him to make sure, last thing he needs to fight right now.

Cross your fingers guys! He does appear to be a L007.

Here are some pics of him

img_806020_0_59fe8cc260ee97ed5c9933ac17a5b2e8.jpg

img_806020_1_33960c0b954e8dfa25648d5e6f93e371.jpg

img_806020_2_5691c858a7c7f4a8f8aa654129c1c925.jpg

He's gorgeous! Glad you rescued him and that he is doing fairly well right now. I'm sure he will be fine with some TLC.

black hills tj said:
good lookin' pleco

i wish i had the cash to go randomly pick up a 29g tank..

just a cheap Walmart one. $40 and dont need a stand for it. Has hood and lights with it. Filter is good enough for a QT tank. Cheap and not fancy is all we need for a QT.

Back
Top Bottom