L091 been in hiding for 6+ months

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Almonz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
This is my first time posting because I cannot find a definitive answer to my question anywhere else as info on this species is a little limited. About 6 or 7 months ago I picked up my (now) 6 inch Three Beacon Pleco, Crixus, and he currently resides in my 75 gallon community tank. There is a lot of hiding spaces and no fish are aggressive to him in it, however I rarely if ever see him. He loves to hide in a medium sized cave structure all day and only comes out very late at night. I have only seen him out during the day once and it was very brief, but at night he's very active and leaves huge sand mounds from him scrounging around for me to find the next day. I understand some Pleco are nocturnal, but I would like to see him more often as he is a very handsome fish. Any suggestions or similar experiences? I'd like to see him become more active if possible. Thanks in advance

Edit: there are two large driftwood pieces in the tank as well that I find him on sometimes at night.

This is my first time posting because I cannot find a definitive answer to my question anywhere else as info on this species is a little limited. About 6 or 7 months ago I picked up my (now) 6 inch Three Beacon Pleco, Crixus, and he currently resides in my 75 gallon community tank. There is a lot of hiding spaces and no fish are aggressive to him in it, however I rarely if ever see him. He loves to hide in a medium sized cave structure all day and only comes out very late at night. I have only seen him out during the day once and it was very brief, but at night he's very active and leaves huge sand mounds from him scrounging around for me to find the next day. I understand some Pleco are nocturnal, but I would like to see him more often as he is a very handsome fish. Any suggestions or similar experiences? I'd like to see him become more active if possible. Thanks in advance

Edit: there are two large driftwood pieces in the tank as well that I find him on sometimes at night.

If you seem him out at night then I wouldn't be too worried, especially if he's still alive after that long. Means he's eatin somethin.
Perhaps there's a boisterous tankmate that scares him or somethin?
*edit* from what the 12 second research I've done it seems they're more reclusive than the average pleco, seem to take longer than most to come out.

I'm not too worried about him eating or anything, I just wish I saw him more often. The only thing that could even remotely ring a bell is my Rainbow Shark but he's only maybe an inch and a half and keeps to himself on the opposite side of the tank.

I'm not too worried about him eating or anything, I just wish I saw him more often. The only thing that could even remotely ring a bell is my Rainbow Shark but he's only maybe an inch and a half and keeps to himself on the opposite side of the tank.

Yeah I doubt it's that. I'd say he's just shy like most sites say the specie is.

I figured. Maybe I'll try sticking some veggies in during the day, or putting something right outside his cave. We will see. It's such a treat when I actually do get to see him out and about, he has lots of character.

They take a long time for them to become comfortable moving around while the lights are on. As long as it has normal nocturnal habits, there's no reason to worry.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some plecos are just super reclusive, especially the ones that are primarily nocturnal. I've had my orinoco angel (L201) pleco for 2 years now and I still see it maybe once to twice a week.

Some plecos are just super reclusive, especially the ones that are primarily nocturnal. I've had my orinoco angel (L201) pleco for 2 years now and I still see it maybe once to twice a week.

I'd be happy with just that! At this point I've only seen him ONCE with the lights on. I've tried just about every method to make him more comfortable to come out but if he doesn't want to I can't force it. Just makes me a little jealous when my dad's Pleco in his 125 would sit out all day and night and mine does just the opposite :ermm:

I'd be happy with just that! At this point I've only seen him ONCE with the lights on. I've tried just about every method to make him more comfortable to come out but if he doesn't want to I can't force it. Just makes me a little jealous when my dad's Pleco in his 125 would sit out all day and night and mine does just the opposite :ermm:

Think of it as your little secret :)

I've found that my pleco does come out quite a bit more with black substrate compared to lighter stuff. That might help.

Back
Top Bottom