Lamp blacklights okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ephy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there

I randomly bought a "blacklight" led light from a department store last year for halloween and i recently put it into the lamp that sits on the same table as my betta fish.

I never turn on his tank lights because it upsets him and he spends the entire time attacking his reflection, so i was hoping this light would be dull enough not to bother him.

After i google searched blacklights and fish i am concerned. Some posts say it can cause eye problems...others that it's not natural etc... the difference between what i have read and what i have, is that i have not installed my light as a tank light. Instead it is just in a lamp above it. There is also a tank lid on my aquarium.

In your opinion, is this safe or a hazard? I dont want to do anything that will affect my betta (Bubbles) in any negative way.

Bulb is from Rona, 120V

Thanks! :D

20170620_212756.jpg20170620_212752.jpg20170620_212809.jpg

fish could care less about light so it really don't matter unless your using live plants

hazard using a household lamp over the tank could get corroded over time from the moisture

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom