Large Bala shark delema

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magic mike

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have one large 12in bala shark. He had 3 brothers but he out grew them all is the lone shark now. He was in a 75 gal but that tank is no longer with us so he's been living happily so far in a 40B for the last few months.

I have a well stocked 125 gallon african cichlid tank (25 or so ranging in sizes from .5" to 3.5)
Also has 2 large plecos and 2 large rapheal catfish. And one flying fox.

I kinda wanna give it a shot and put the bala shark (frank... His name is frank) in the 125gal so he can swim a lot more. My cichlids are well fed but a few like to pick fights. This bala shark isn't a slouch either.
He is kinda pissing me off lately too as he's been eating all my ottos.

Any suggestions?

It sounds like a bad idea to me. Just the difference in pH would be enough to stress the bala and then you risk ich or any other number of diseases being spread to your African tank.

If your Africans have been up and running for a year without many issues I would be nervous of adding another fish in this late in the game. Also, bala sharks are quite skittish. It could turn into a nightmare with the bala trying to flee and injuring himself.

If I were in your situation I'd look at just rehoming the bala to someone who can provide him the extra room.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It sounds like a bad idea to me. Just the difference in pH would be enough to stress the bala and then you risk ich or any other number of diseases being spread to your African tank.

If your Africans have been up and running for a year without many issues I would be nervous of adding another fish in this late in the game. Also, bala sharks are quite skittish. It could turn into a nightmare with the bala trying to flee and injuring himself.

If I were in your situation I'd look at just rehoming the bala to someone who can provide him the extra room.

+1 find him a suitable home or get another large tank for him.

Caleb

+1 couldn't agree more.

Water parameters arent that off I gotta say, atleast between my tanks. Both tanks have been going strong for over a year with zero problems and I keep my water about the same from tank to tank.
I jus keep my cichlid tank a degree hotter.
I've had this bala for a few years now and he looks extremely healthy so I doubt my water conditions are bad for him.

I also have been adding cichlids to my big tank over the months and etc. Never any Ick or anything. I keep my tanks clean and do bi weekly changes and cleanings.

with my bala shark I have now I have one african cichlid that's been with him since a baby, 2 Congo tetras, 2 Australian rainbows, a small ghost knife (I know they get big), a striped catfish and 2 angel fish. The shark is deff the boss of the tank.

I think the main thing is cichlids are very aggressive and if not kept in a group that large bala can stress. Possibly leading to something like an ick outbreak.

Caleb

So might be doable if he had other bala Sharks with him.
Out of all the cichlids only 3 of them are aggressive in the tank but I understand what you're saying.

Might just have to sell my 75gal tube tank to fund a 150gal or so for this bala and ghost knife.

I also have been adding cichlids to my big tank over the months and etc. Never any Ick or anything. I keep my tanks clean and do bi weekly changes and cleanings.

with my bala shark I have now I have one african cichlid that's been with him since a baby, 2 Congo tetras, 2 Australian rainbows, a small ghost knife (I know they get big), a striped catfish and 2 angel fish. The shark is deff the boss of the tank.

I had a jeweled cichlid when I tried keeping fish years ago. It was in a community tank and it ended up killing every single fish in that tank. It was a total newbie mistake on my part. Well, I had him for 2 years or so when I decided to try to keep more fish again and I got a african cichlid tank as well as my planted tank.

At the time I had mostly sturdy species of fish in my planted tank so I decided to give him a try in there first to see if he was still aggressive. He was and started tearing up all my other fish so the plan was to stick him in the cichlid tank to cut down on having an extra tank with a single fish in it.

The thing about african cichlids, is that they are bruisers. In a few days when I finally saw him come out of hiding the first time a few days later he was tore up head to tail. In one eye he was permanently blind, his fins were shredded, and he had wounds all along his body.

This fish was a sturdy known tank killer that was at least 30% - 50% larger than any of the cichlids he was put in with. It is not a plan I would recommend.

Oh I know how african cichlids can be. I've had them for over 8 years. I've had most of mine for atleast 5 years in this tank. What's funny is my jewel cichlid is the nicest one in my tank lol.

I wouldn't suggest getting more bala sharks. You have quite a few stocking issues that should be worked out and adding more fish to the mix won't help. Rehoming seems like the best course of action.

I wouldn't suggest getting more bala sharks. You have quite a few stocking issues that should be worked out and adding more fish to the mix won't help. Rehoming seems like the best course of action.

I never said I was getting more sharks.

I have one large 12in bala shark. He had 3 brothers but he out grew them all is the lone shark now. He was in a 75 gal but that tank is no longer with us so he's been living happily so far in a 40B for the last few months.

This in a 40B is TOO much IMO.
Just a 12 inch fish in a 36 inch tank?
OK?......
That fish is a runner that can't even take a step!
You have cared well for your fish as they are alive.
Get him to someone with a 6-10 foot tank!
Then lower /correct the rest of stocking in 40 and get jewel away from the Mbunas!
All just my opinion and suggestions.

This in a 40B is TOO much IMO.
Just a 12 inch fish in a 36 inch tank?
OK?......
That fish is a runner that can't even take a step!
You have cared well for your fish as they are alive.
Get him to someone with a 6-10 foot tank!
Then lower /correct the rest of stocking in 40 and get jewel away from the Mbunas!
All just my opinion and suggestions.

Did you read the thread? I stated he's only in the 40b because his tank broke.
The jewel has been with the Habs and others for over 5 years with zero problems in the 125gal.

I read the thread.
That is how I quoted you!
He can't/shouldn't go with the Africans so what are you going to do?
Is my suggestion of a 6-10 foot aquarium(I didn't say you had to buy one!) unreasonable to you?
Read up on your beloved fish and do the right thing.
I'm not trying to argue.

Okkkk my wife is gonna kill me but I found a 150 gallon that I can just use my filters and lights on. $125 and holds water.
I'd have to get rid of the 40b and maybe my tube tank. i dunno what I'm gonna do with all my smallish tropical fish in the tube tank though.
Firstworldproblems

I read the thread.
That is how I quoted you!
He can't/shouldn't go with the Africans so what are you going to do?
Is my suggestion of a 6-10 foot aquarium(I didn't say you had to buy one!) unreasonable to you?
Read up on your beloved fish and do the right thing.
I'm not trying to argue.

Well a lot of people are posting videos and thread about how they're mixed tanks work well. Balas with Africans and etc.
I have a 6 foot long tank, hence why I was seeing what people thought.
All the videos I see of balas working well with cichlids Its always when there's 3 or more.
I know how big these fish get so I don't want to get more. Figured I'd still see.

I don't just get rid of fish, so a bigger tank is a must it seems.

Back
Top Bottom