Large catfish for a 55?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goldfish loach boy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have a 55 gallon tank, I like large catfish that will be out during the day, so what large catfish will be out during the day, I have one striped Raphael catfish, but it's only out at night, if I were to add, let's say 3 more striped Raphael's, would they come out during the day, or how can I get them to come out during the day, is there a way? It's because I have black sand and I want a colorful fish that will come out
Thank you

Brown hoplos are active at all hours and can get around 7-8", but they aren't colorful... just brown, lol. Megalechis Thoracata is much prettier, but sadly only hits about 5".

No matter how many Raphael's you get they'll all just hide. Hoplos, pictus cats, smaller species of synodontis and Zamora catfish are all good candidates. I love my raphael and he sure is a looker but he's never out. So no matter how many you put in, it won't do no good.

Ok, so I have an idea, what if I put in one more Raphael catfish to make the other company, and I add maybe 3-4 either lace synodontis or 3-4 pictus cats, also I have 4 kuhli loaches so I don't want those to get hurt, what do you recommend , pictus or lace synodontis?

Me personally the pictus because of their look, personality and activity level.

Yea I was thinking of the pictus too, will it hurt my plants, catfish, kuhli loaches, mollies, platys, rainbow fish, betta, guppies, Otos, plecos, barbs, or angelfish?

Um idk about the plants I think they'll be fine because my friend has a big school in his tank and he's got lots of plants and he's never said anything about them destroying them. But with the other fish they'll be perfectly fine. They may pick off small fish if underfed but I doubt you'll underfeed em. Watch the guppies but other than that there shouldn't be any issues and even the guppies should be fine.

Yea, they definitely won't be underfed, I feed a lot of flakes because I have a lot of fish, so a lot of it falls, plus I would add about 15 sinking pellets a day

Haha they'll be some happy catfish! I have to carefully feed my raphael cause he's a big

Hah thanks I think they will be fine, my Raphael comes out from this root piece thing when he sees flakes coming down and vacuums as much as he can up, then he goes back, and when I turn the lights off, I put in 4 sinking pellets for him

Back
Top Bottom