Large catfish tank 55 gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Botlebruiser

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I want to set up a my 55 with 3 or 4 catfish that will grow to around 24" or less. I know I will have to get a larger tank eventually. I really like red tails although i know they will grow too large to keep in a traditional aquarium. Any recommendations on species?

"Edit" I am looking for fish that are aesthetically similar to a red tail. Sorry for the miscommunication.

One of the main rules of fishkeeping is to stock the tank you have, not the one you'd like to have one day. Red tails require huge tanks or even indoor ponds for proper housing. A group of Pimelodelus would be alright in a 55, or Synodontis multipunctatus or petricola if you have hard/alkaline water.

If you want something to be around or under 24" then forget Redtails. Before you know it they will be 24 lbs...

A 55g is not adequate for any of the larger catfish species. Redtails grow very quickly and will likely not be able to turn around in the tank before you're able to afford a larger tank.

Try some of the synodontis varieties or a few raphael cats instead. Some of the syn cats will reach a foot in length. The raphaels hit 8"-9".

I agree. Its one thing to use a growout tank if you've already got the bigger tank and its awaiting the intro of whatever catfish you intend to stock. Its quite another thing to rush in and do an impulse buy. 9 times outa 10 it doesn't work for whatever reason and then its the fish that suffers.
Look, I'm not trying to cut you up or put you down in any way. I UNFORTUNATELY KNOW THIS FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

Wow, ok. So I have a 75 gallon oceanic tank and a 125 gallon as well. Now, I'm not going to set either of them up initially. I wasn't asking for anyone's advice or lectures on tank size or setup. I had my first cichlid tank when I was 8 years old. I'm 28 now. Thatsb why I still have the 75 gallon tank. I will be moving in 4 months. Then I will set up a larger tank. So if that put any of your flamer flames out maybe I could get more suggestions on the type of fish I'm looking for.

I will not purchase anything larger than 3" because I want to raise them.

Not trying to flame but a redtail gets way to big for a 125 but there should be some smaller catfish out there that might work. Wish I new more about catfish species to help out.

And you opened your thread stating " i know I'm gonna have to GET a bigger tank". Excuse us for not being aware of how many BIG aquariums you already have.
We were trying to help with the info YOU provided us:) PEACE OUT

The person also stated that they knew red tails or whatever they are called would get too big, so it seems to me like they were asking for different suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom