Large live bearing fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
All the live bearers I've ever seen are tiny little guppies and minnow-type fish. Are there any larger freshwater aquarium fish that are able to give live birth? Hatching eggs is a lot more work...lol. It's more the curiosity than it is the laziness.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Some rays...
Belonesox belizanus the half beak livebearer, gar livebearer

Fishobsessed7

some of the goodeid species get a little bit bigger, but not huge, similar to size in swordtails.

Fishobsessed7

There are lote more of them which get a lot larger than the average livebearer. Btw, not all swordtails will get bigger. Take xiphophorus pygmaeus for instance. This is the smallest of all swordtails available.

Larger Livebearing Fish

All the live bearers I've ever seen are tiny little guppies and minnow-type fish. Are there any larger freshwater aquarium fish that are able to give live birth? Hatching eggs is a lot more work...lol. It's more the curiosity than it is the laziness.

Hello Nat...

The largest that are readily available are Platys. Specifically, the Red Wag species. The males are typically an inch and a half and the females a couple of inches, plus and easily an inch tall. They're roughly the size of a larger Corydoras. I keep my fish in prime water conditions and feed a good diet and feed most days. So, they grow quickly, especially the females. Platys don't drop the huge number of fry like Guppies and the fry are roughly half again as large as Guppy fry.

B

Xiphophorus montezumae (montezumae swordtail) can become very large as well...

Attachments

• ea xipho10 dglz.jpg
    ea xipho10 dglz.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 71
I have a swordtail that is around four inches. Neon swordtails are colorful, but I also like koi swordtails. Definitely try swordtails

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They are hardy fish. They will be fine in your usual params but they do benefit from a little bit of aquarium salt like other livebearers.

Belonasox rule the day in size. Pond raise some swords or sailfin mollys and they will reach 4"-5" +

I notice a difference in size when pond raising any species. Giving a fish ample space makes a world of a difference. Swordtails would be really cool. I'm not quite in the position to start a new build but good to know.

Not quite sure yet, for I have had mine for a week :) so far very active, and the first ones to the food!

Back
Top Bottom