Large tank prices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HairlessPotter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm starting to look into getting a much larger tank, around 125g. Buying used, been browsing ksl just waiting for the right one. So whats a good price range for a tank this size? Full setup? Tank only?

I'm curious about this as well as I'm looking into getting a 75+ gallon myself! Good luck with your search!

Around 300$ brand new with metal stand... Or a couple hundred dollars more with a wood stand.

I know your looking to buy used but for 300$ youd be able to sleep peacefully at night and not worry bout leaks

I don't trust used tanks. I have seen and heard way too many horror stories about them. This is one of the few things that I recommend buying new every time. Most of the time it is fine, but it isn't worth the risk considering that even small tanks can cause thousands of dollars worth of water damage. I had one client who got a used 200 gallon. He had it setup with no problems until one day the entire front panel came off the front of the tank. His kids came downstairs covered in water and broken glass. I had a 55 leak 1/3 of its water before I woke up, that alone was over $1,000 in damage.

Well if I did buy new what would prices be for a full setup? I know tank alone will be very expensive not to mention filter and everything

There is very little markup on tanks, so the LFS is not making money on you there. The best thing is to ask them for pricing on a few different size tanks.

General price for used tanks 55 or smaller is $1/gallon, 75 or larger a bit more because the glass is thicker. Time and patience are helpful for finding a good deal, I picked up my 125 with wooden stand, full glass tops, and an aquaclear 110 filter (along with some odds and ends) for $300. It's an older tank, thicker glass and no center brace/s, but aside from being heavier and harder to move I prefer those over the newer/thinner glass tanks. I have 2 55's that have broken center braces, the top trim on one was replaced 6-7 years ago and broke again last year. The other one is temporarily held with a 24" bar clamp, not pretty but will keep the seams from giving out until I get around to switching the contents over to the 90. I have a couple of 75's that are much older and still no problems with those, same with the 125.
For that matter, I picked up the 90 with a black pine cabinet stand, glass tops, 24" T5 HO light and a fluval 305 for $150 at a fish club auction last spring. My 2 75's and a custom steel stand that holds both tanks were less than that on an e-bay auction several years ago, though I did have to drive a fair distance to pick them up.

Last edited:
Even if the shop doesn't have them in stock, they can get them, usually within a week. The largest tank that I know of being manufactured on regular basis (not custom) is Marineland's deep dimension 300. Something around 125 should be no issue at all.

The LFS near me charges a ton for their tanks, the markup is insane, its funny because people post these tanks on CL and think that just because they overpaid for it that they can get a crazy price, eventually they get worn down to 1/4-1/2 of their investment.

The chain stores seem to have some decent prices on tanks, but I buy mine used.

I got my 125 and stand for $100. I reinforced and refinished the stand but the tank is solid, sealed well and thick glass.

jetajockey said:
The LFS near me charges a ton for their tanks, the markup is insane, its funny because people post these tanks on CL and think that just because they overpaid for it that they can get a crazy price, eventually they get worn down to 1/4-1/2 of their investment.

The chain stores seem to have some decent prices on tanks, but I buy mine used.

I got my 125 and stand for $100. I reinforced and refinished the stand but the tank is solid, sealed well and thick glass.

And we argee lol my lfs charges around 1000 for tank and canopy or 1500-1800 and thats crazy for a 125 with the stand depending on the finish I buy used as well but I always redo the caulking to put my mind at ease

Without knowing what they are paying, you can't say that they mark them up much at all. Trust me, this stuff is not marked up much in most cases. Cherry setups are expensive (even though it is just a stain). Yes, many stand styles are greatly overpriced FOR THE LFS TOO.

I have seen the pricing direct from the wholesaler, LFSs don't make much on tanks. It is in their best interest to keep the pricing that low because that is the first step into the hobby. Get someone then and you get every filter purchase, livestock, all the other equipment, etc.

The big box stores buy in much larger quantity, which gives them some power in bullying suppliers and manufacturers to lower their pricing for them. This is why they can offer lower pricing. They also realize the value of getting customers from the start, so they also markup their tanks and stands very little.

Fishguy2727 said:
Without knowing what they are paying, you can't say that they mark them up much at all. Trust me, this stuff is not marked up much in most cases. Cherry setups are expensive (even though it is just a stain). Yes, many stand styles are greatly overpriced FOR THE LFS TOO.

I have seen the pricing direct from the wholesaler, LFSs don't make much on tanks. It is in their best interest to keep the pricing that low because that is the first step into the hobby. Get someone then and you get every filter purchase, livestock, all the other equipment, etc.

The big box stores buy in much larger quantity, which gives them some power in bullying suppliers and manufacturers to lower their pricing for them. This is why they can offer lower pricing. They also realize the value of getting customers from the start, so they also markup their tanks and stands very little.

I am good friends with the owner of our lfs and she makes a small amount off a small tank say 10-15$ but large tanks she makes a killing say approx 400-500$ per tank and somehow sells them but I guess that's why people around here want so much for a used tank and I laugh them off craigs list

I would say compare prices for new and check classifieds to find an average price for used it differs place to place

Then either she is getting much better pricing than I have ever seen or she has no competition willing to charge more reasonable pricing. We would be luck to clear $400-500 on the largest tanks we ever sold (300 gallon deep dimensions). Even on the small ones we only markup around 10%.

Fishguy2727 said:
Then either she is getting much better pricing than I have ever seen or she has no competition willing to charge more reasonable pricing. We would be luck to clear $400-500 on the largest tanks we ever sold (300 gallon deep dimensions). Even on the small ones we only markup around 10%.

I guess it's a totally different world see would get 3-4 grand for a deep 300

I have 4 or 5 tanks that were purchased by me as leakers, that were returned to the store under warranty. New tanks leak too, and do as much damage as leaking used tanks.

I don't know about the US or Canada but if you want a large tank over here in the UK, then it can be a lot (and I mean alot) cheaper to get it made. A friend of mine had an aquarium built into a dividing wall (approx 7' x 4' x 1') and paid less than £200 for the glass box (obviously the frame around and all the sundry items cost as well)

Back
Top Bottom