Large water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jen106

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I have a freshwater 55 gal tank that's been set up with me for a bit over 2 years. Emperor 400 filter. Currently in the tank are 3 large angels, 1 cory cat, 1 smallish African clawed frog, a bushy nosed pleco, and a fair-won goldfish my daughter brought home [emoji849]. For my birthday my husband took me to the fish store and said I could get any fish I wanted (within reason) so I was going to get a new ropefish (have had them in past in a similar set up). Luckily I brought a sample to be tested. Everything was good except my nitrite- it was apparently off the chart (the test turned super red and she said it was supposed to be orange). She suggested a 90% water change done over the course of several days so as not to shock the fish. Silly me didn't ask how exactly I should do this. I'm assuming I do 30%, refill, wait a day, 30%, refill, wait a day, and 30%, refill. I bought new cartridges and charcoal as, admittedly, it's been like 6 months since I changed them (I have done a couple small water changes, though.) How does this sound?

PS. Don't know if this matters, but I have to add probably 5 gallons a week due to evaporation. Whenever I add I use Prime to condition the water.

Thanks!

If sounds like from the color of the test (red/orange) that you are dealing with nitrate not nitrite (which test blue to purple).

For nitrate you would want to perform water changes as suggested.

I would suggest that you purchase the API freshwater master test kit and then you can routinely test and monitor your water.

The amount of water changed is based on how much nitrate your water contains (ideally 20 or less).

I would do 50% initially, check your nitrates consistently over the next few days and then determine how much additional water you should change based on the readings - you'll have to do some basic math (hope this makes sense).

Maybe the 50% will suffice the need, that's why you need the kit to check and be sure...

Then try to employee a consistent weekly water change routine that will keep the nitrates at 20 or below by checking and measuring your nitrate.

Hope this helps, happy fish keeping!

I knew I would get the nitrate/nitrite mixed up. [emoji15]

Thank you! That sounds great. I'll give it a try!

jen...

Small water changes do little to keep the tank water waste free, which is what any water keeper should work toward. The reason small water changes don't work is, you leave most of the old toxic water in the tank. A 55 G needs most of the water removed and replaced weekly. More is always better when it comes to water changes. Work toward removing and replacing at least half the water weekly.

Your fish are living in the same water they do all their "business" in. Put yourself in their place. Wouldn't you want most of the water changed and changed often?

B

Definitely. I work from home a couple days a week ago I should be able to manage this.

I'm also one that believes the more water changes, the better but a lot has to do with the tank's population and feeding habits. I would say unless you're overstocked, a good way to go is as already mentioned, half the tank a week is a good starting point. I have a couple of 55g and to make things easier I use a garden hose to siphon and to put water back into the tanks.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I was just wondering how often you do water changes in general, and what percent are you changing?

The problem with having the goldfish in this set up is that they are cold water fish and they poop so much that (in a heated tank) they will send your levels crazy. I'm not saying to take him out, just that he may contribute to the bad levels in the tank... therefor more frequent changes may be necessary.

Also wondering if you use a siphon, or how you clean the tank. When you change the water, do you suck the poop off the bottom and especially in the back corners?

Do you have something like this?https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...7WhieFLcB88mULf_hoNV1yX5nfSRNQ3ZqSBoCSvPw_wcB

It was one of the most useful presents I've ever gotten.

I use a home made version of that. Yes very helpful!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I was just wondering how often you do water changes in general, and what percent are you changing?

The problem with having the goldfish in this set up is that they are cold water fish and they poop so much that (in a heated tank) they will send your levels crazy. I'm not saying to take him out, just that he may contribute to the bad levels in the tank... therefor more frequent changes may be necessary.

Also wondering if you use a siphon, or how you clean the tank. When you change the water, do you suck the poop off the bottom and especially in the back corners?

Do you have something like this?https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...7WhieFLcB88mULf_hoNV1yX5nfSRNQ3ZqSBoCSvPw_wcB

It was one of the most useful presents I've ever gotten.

I don't have one of those, but I do have a siphon and always vacuum the bottom when I do water changes.

Yeah, I know goldfish are gross, but I can't take him out as that is my daughter's fish. His name is Animal! She was so happy to win him and I was standing there crossing my fingers saying "please don't win the goldfish..." [emoji3]

jen...

The waste material from the fish and the plants too, takes time to dissolve in the water to the point it will start to hurt the fish. By simply removing most of the water every few days, you remove the toxins before they build up in the tank water.

What most tank keepers don't know, is water that continuously flows through a filtering system, loses its ability to hold oxygen and loses trace elements in just a few days, so the water can't sustain the fish and plants. By removing and replacing the water, you're replenishing the elements and oxygen mixes more easily in pure water. So, the tank water must be changed regularly, even if you have just a few fish.

B

Back
Top Bottom