largemouth bass and bluegill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That’s weird man; most pet shops won’t sell large mouth bass because it’s illegal to sell wild caught fish in most states. I have seen a peacock bass in a fish store and it kind of looks like large mouth at first glance. Don’t put limestone in your tank. Any thing that destroys ammonia just converts it into something else. The natural biological cycle is the best way to get rid of ammonia. Any new tank will have some ammonia for a short period. You should get some test kits and check your water parameters. I check my ammonia and nitrites once every couple weeks, and nitrates every other day.

One more thing, about a 10X water turn over rate in filtration would probably be a good thing. Don’t forget that both these fish are jumpers, so cover the aquarium pretty good.

i was just fixing to say that. back when i was young, my dad put a redbreast he caught in our neighborhood pond in a 90g that we had. he had the whole thing to himself (except for a pleco). we had him for about a year. he was growing like crazy (we were hoping he would grow to be a state or world record ;)). anyway, he was gigantic. i got home from school one day and found him on the floor by the tank, dead. he had jumped up and knocked the whole top off of the aquarium (glass canopy & lights).

Dad,

Its 100% legal to own those fish in illinois, dont worry about that.

If you want and they get to big of a hassle for you please let me know, I got two 9k gallon tanks at work with those exact fish in it, from panfish to muskies and flatheads, even 8# walleyes.

The gill will be fine as long as your bucket mouth is never hungry or gets pissed off at the gill.

I have held a sport fishing license in illinois since 1996, am in many fishing and hunting organizations in this state as well as national ones.

they will be fine during the cycle both are very hearty fish.

What body of water did they come from?( important,but ill respect the fishing holes)
what are they eating?( super important)
where is their food coming from?( same as above)

You can PM me with any questions or call me at
847-645-0400
extension 8353
never on sundays or tuesdays and never after 3pm the other 5 days, im not there, no voice mail. or PM me and Ill PM you my email for work.

Im not a pro but I know my illinois game fish like the back of my hand.
If needed I can get the aquarium keeper( he does all the stuff for the tanks as well as 100% total care of each and every fish in there...http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/mine-but-not-mine-115268.html...)

Hey WhiteDevil... you just gave the "whole world" access to your digits!

What are you using for substrate now? Crawdads would also be a nice addition to your tank. They look good and natural in that style tank as well as help clean up uneaten food. You could also put some large minnows or something in there in case they get too hungry. That way they'll eat them instead of each other. They look very cool too.

i was just fixing to say that. back when i was young, my dad put a redbreast he caught in our neighborhood pond in a 90g that we had. he had the whole thing to himself (except for a pleco). we had him for about a year. he was growing like crazy (we were hoping he would grow to be a state or world record ;)). anyway, he was gigantic. i got home from school one day and found him on the floor by the tank, dead. he had jumped up and knocked the whole top off of the aquarium (glass canopy & lights).

Oh man that sucks! That happened to one of my fish once. Its soo sad.

Back
Top Bottom