Larger freshwater shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want some shrimp and snails in my 35 gal planted I was thinking 1 apple snail and 3 nerites for snails. As for shrimp I saw some 2-3 inch shrimp at my LFS that were brownish in color. I think they were bamboo shrimp. They were pretty expensive though something like 12$. I was thinking 3-5 of them.

I had two bamboo in my 28 gal they were both very happy sitting in front of the filter and the fish ignored them, they ignored the fish and snails, right up until they moulted then my hiding places were
Obviously not good enough for my predatory lot, as when they were soft the loaches and shark had them.

Thoroughly recommend them though they are great to watch and confident. When they are happy they are a reddish colour with a White stripe down their backs and they are beautiful. (pic is one of them in my tank)

Attachments

• image-1917417506.jpg
    image-1917417506.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 223
Yea i'm pretty confident thats what i saw. So say 3-5 bamboos, 2-3 nerites and an apple snail. Haha i can't go without my inverts :)

Bamboo shrimp are really cool. Vampire shrimp (aka giant african fan shrimp) are also neat. They are blue-grey in color and have little hooks like fangs on their front feet (hence the name). But they are peaceful filter feeders just like bamboo shrimp (here's a link to a picture and some info).

Both bamboo and vampire shrimp have not yet been bred in captivity successfully... all are wild caught and so it's hard to tell their condition in the store. I have heard that vampires are easier than bamboos... but the vampire I got hid itself as soon as it got into the tank, did not re-emerge for 6 weeks and died the day after it came out (possibly due to nitrate levels, I guess they are quite sensitive). So I'm working on consistently awesome water quality before trying another filter feeder shrimp. :)

I have read somewhere that you only want to put these shrimp in tanks that are 6+ months old; otherwise, there won't be enough food for them to filter. Tank size is also an issue for filter feeders due to availability of food; I am not sure how many of these shrimps a 35 gal can support... 3 might be fine, but I suspect 5 could too many. I'm not an expert by any means, though.

Good luck! I love inverts too :)

Mine did fine in my tank which is 5 months old but I suppose it depends on the tank, also I have to agree that 5 may be a tad excessive mine had to take turns infront of the filter as I only have a few things to hang on in the out flow area. Also they need alot of privacy when moulting as I said before otherwise they will be munched. They do get really big and mine moulted every 2-3 weeks, so I was always worried about them. The vampire sound more able to defend themselves should the need arise?

Good luck in choosing! new tank mates are always exciting. Love inverts too, shame my fish will eat pretty much anything!

Well i've got time to make up my mind. Are there any other bigger varieties of shrimp that aren't filter feeders? I can always order online if i need to.

Most of the Machrobrachium species are quite large I'm not sure if they are filter feeders but I know they aren't real common in aquariums.

Most of the Machrobrachium species are quite large I'm not sure if they are filter feeders but I know they aren't real common in aquariums.

Googled and i came up with A LOT of different types. I think i might just go with bamboo shrimp :lol:

In a 29 you'll probably have to supplement their diet with that powdered shrimp food. You need a good current as well

I have good enough current and have a few rocks in front of my canister output nozzle.

Oh yeah. But crayfish can be aggressive towards your fish. Idk about the dwarf ones but I know the regular ones can and id assume its the same

Back
Top Bottom