Last ditch effort to save my fish!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You will need to do the 50% water changes every 24-48 hours even with one small oscar in the tank while it cycles. When the oscar is grown and the tank is cycled you will need to do 2-3 50%-75% water changes a week to keep it healthy in a 55 gallon.

Really?????? I didn't do NEARLY that when I had one before. Yes I do have to look into it I have too many tanks to do that much!!!! I got a beautiful albino that's just too cute but I can't change water every week.

Where ever you read the 2 oscars were ok in a 55 you should not read anymore info there. That is wrong one oscar in a 55 with no tankmates is the bare minimum for one oscar. Even then it's a lot of work to keep the water good. With big water changes being an absolute must with oscars. Goto oscarfishlover.com and join.The wealth of info there is astounding for oscars and cichlids.

Really?????? I didn't do NEARLY that when I had one before. Yes I do have to look into it I have too many tanks to do that much!!!! I got a beautiful albino that's just too cute but I can't change water every week.

Yes to keep it healthy you need to change that much water weekly. A lot of people don't and end up with stunted oscars with HITH and a shortened life span from living in their waste.

I just looked there, and your right it's 55 for one oscar. I am getting a 125 gal but no guarantee it will be before these grow up. I think the oscars are going back. ::::sigh::::

I suggest taking the parrots and 1 Oscar back. The parrots get huge too. I'm another one that believes the parrots don't belong in the hobby.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think it would be an excellent idea to return the oscars and keep the bloodred parrot cichlids. They are absolutely adorable and very personable. I wouldn't get the dyed ones but the bloodreds should be ok. They are hybrids not genetically modified. The only issue is sometimes their mouths are shaped funny and they may have problems eating due to deformities.

I had one once and had to rehome it because it was a digger and dug up all my plants. But the bonus is you could have a few other large fish with them. Mine did well with the 5 turquoise rainbowfish and bristlenose pleco in a 55 gallon.

But if you dont want to do frequent water changes your going to have to keep the biolaod very very low. The more fish the more water changes.

I change 50 percent every one to two weeks and that is in a planted tank. If I didnt have the plants id have to do it weekly without fail.

Do not add any new fish until your ammonia and nitrIte readings are consistently zero. NitrAtes should be less than 20.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Just trying to help you get the most out of keeping an oscar by informing you of what's best for the fish and you. :)

I want more than one fish in a tank. I appreciate your help!! I have time to take them back so they can find good homes!!

I am taking the oscars back and getting something that can live with the parrots. I can't have one fish in a 55 gal tank. I think they should be in pairs and that's just my own mind I know, he probably wouldn't care lol.

My nitrites and ammonia are 0 my nitrates are still high. I will knee up with the water changes til it's right. Thanks!!!!

While I have you guys.... Do you know how I can tell what large rocks are safe for an aquarium?

I am taking the oscars back and getting something that can live with the parrots. I can't have one fish in a 55 gal tank. I think they should be in pairs and that's just my own mind I know, he probably wouldn't care lol.

My nitrites and ammonia are 0 my nitrates are still high. I will knee up with the water changes til it's right. Thanks!!!!

If you don't have one already consider investing in a water changer, like a python. I bought a cheaper version, an aqueon water changer and i love it. Can do all water changes in the tanks fast and efficient. And you do really need to work on getting thise nitrate levels down.

I think a school of rainbowfish go well with blood red parrots and balance a tank out. I dont know how well parrots do in pairs unless you have male and female. I know they will attempt to spawn but usually they are sterile (think like a mule).

If you want "a lot" of fish you cant have huge fish that make big biolaods. And with the parrots fish have to be big enough to not fit in their mouths.

If you don't have one already consider investing in a water changer, like a python. I bought a cheaper version, an aqueon water changer and i love it. Can do all water changes in the tanks fast and efficient. And you do really need to work on getting thise nitrate levels down.

I think a school of rainbowfish go well with blood red parrots and balance a tank out. I dont know how well parrots do in pairs unless you have male and female. I know they will attempt to spawn but usually they are sterile (think like a mule).

I have a python! Couldn't make it without it! I have 4 tanks, buckets got old a long time ago. Researching rainbow fish now!

If you want "a lot" of fish you cant have huge fish that make big biolaods. And with the parrots fish have to be big enough to not fit in their mouths.

Don't need a lot... Just 4/6 I can move them around to other tanks if they outgrow this one.

Good luck. If you stick with the parrots and some decent sized schooling fish you shouldnt need to move anyone. I think it would be a nice tank.

yeah they would be alright alone. Most large territorial cichlids prefer to be alone with the owner as their bud. An adult oscar fills a 55 and it won't look empty. Good for you making the right choice to rehome the fish you can't keep properly. With the parrots you won't want to add to much either as they will fill the tank too with size and bio load. Maybe a few rainbows as suggested. As for rocks. Look for hard rocks with no soft spots and pour vinegar over them to see if there is any reaction, if there is any fizzing pick different rocks

I personally thing you're fine... For now.

Oscars are really cool fish, had many of them till they over grew the tanks and I had to give them up for adoption.

Oscars will survive your water as long as you keep doing the 25% water changes, they're tough fish and very "friendly" eventually once they get settled they'll come up to the front to greet you, well actually is food they want, they can eat till they are so full they roll over on their side on the bottom, I have seen this! Mine used to slam the tank cover when he was hungry but I advise you not to over feed, you'll know when they had enough food, just look at their bellies.

I can't say much about parrot fish since I never had them but I think later when the Oscars grow there will be a problem for food competition since the Oscars will get to it before the parrots do.

It might take a couple of years but you know eventually you'll need to re-home the oscars, especially if you want two of them.

Overcrowding will issue with the 4 fish you have once they start to grow.

I suggest taking the parrots and 1 Oscar back. The parrots get huge too. I'm another one that believes the parrots don't belong in the hobby.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm not a fan of parrots, something about them I don't like.

How big do they get and why do you feel about them the way you do?

I personally thing you're fine... For now.

Oscars are really cool fish, had many of them till they over grew the tanks and I had to give them up for adoption.

Oscars will survive your water as long as you keep doing the 25% water changes, they're tough fish and very "friendly" eventually once they get settled they'll come up to the front to greet you, well actually is food they want, they can eat till they are so full they roll over on their side on the bottom, I have seen this! Mine used to slam the tank cover when he was hungry but I advise you not to over feed, you'll know when they had enough food, just look at their bellies.

I can't say much about parrot fish since I never had them but I think later when the Oscars grow there will be a problem for food competition since the Oscars will get to it before the parrots do.

It might take a couple of years but you know eventually you'll need to re-home the oscars, especially if you want two of them.

Overcrowding will issue with the 4 fish you have once they start to grow.

Please don't listen to this. This is horrible advice. It won't take a couple of years.. It will take a couple of months. Oscars grow fasssst. An inch a month at least. Your bio load is huge already for that tank. And a 25% water change is a waste of time. You need to watch your nitrates and when they hit 20ppm you do a 50% water change.

"I have an API kit and ver careful about testing. nitrates .25 very light green not yellow"

Curious about this, in the API test, nitrates show up yellow to dk red. Just hoping you re doing the test correct, not being critical, trying to help.
I ve made my share of mistakes , thank goodness for all of the people on this site. Best of luck with your fish;).

Back
Top Bottom