Last Nights Nightmare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angelstiger

Aquarium Advice Activist
Got up in the night 3 AM. Stepped in lots of water on the floor. Turned on the lights. One of my 29 gallon tanks, the one with my prize angels (home bred by a friend), had 4 inches of water left in it. And the water was pouring out of the seam like a waterfall. Scooped the angels out, put them in the 55 with my mollies and swordtails. Unplugged the filter, heater, etc., while standing barefoot in water. Didn't get electrocuted, thank god. Grabbed the python to get the rest of the water out , so it wouldn't be on the floor. Figured, The quickest way is to start a syphon with my mouth and throw the end out the door. Got a really big mouth full of fish water. Coughed, choked, ended up swallowing a big gulp of fish poop water. Nothing will make you closer to your fish than a good swallow of mulm. hahaha. Thank god I woke up. At least I saved the fish.

At least your fish are ok. Never swallowed fish water before seems kinda gross. These things are unlikely to happen but it happens.

Thats awful.

If the tank was new you should contact the store you purchaed it from and tell them of your leak. Most tanks have a 5 year warrantee from leaks.

Yup, at least you saved your fish and hopefully it did not ruin your carpet.

I do agree with FF if you bought it new then talk with the LFS that sold it to you.

The carpet got pretty wet. The shop vac took up a lot of it though. Unfortunately all my tanks are previosly owned. One of the risks you take. BTW I think the angels like it in the big tank. One of my platies had babies last night without me noticing to get her in a net. How I discovered this was, I was looking at the angels and one of them had a fry half half eaten hanging from his mouth. I moved the hornwort I have floating. I saved about a half a dozen fry. But this female usually has a couple of dozen. Looks like they had a feed.

I bet you can still keep the tank. Yesterday at the home depot I was looking for shoe goo and came across a tube of silicon for aquariums.

Fixing would really depend on the extent of damage. To be able to get the silicon gel into the crack you would have to be able to pry apart the two pieces of glass. If this has already happened then you're actually better off. If just the sealant that is already in there dissolved, cracked, etc, then you may have to disassemble the tank first to put it back together.

But i can't see it, so its tough to make a call on it.

-Dan

Thank You Nugrad2005. Thats what I did wrong. This tank is one I got for free. It leaked when I got it. I sealed it but I didn't put it in between the glass. I just cleaned out the old silicone. Wiped it down with alcohol, and then spread the new silicone over the corner. I didn't know it had to go between too. They don't tell you that. No wonder it leaked after 2 months. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Well the rug is drying and the fish are ok. The only real loss is the heater, fried. Valuable lesson learned. And an even better lesson, Don't drink fish water. hahahahaha. Had some Maroxy in there. Guess I wont be getting any fungus. :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom