Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-07-2004, 11:40 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lava Eye's - Looked in Fish Profile's...anyone have info?

Well, I'm about two weeks out from adding the next few fish in my hopefully cycled tank.

When I was at the LFS the other day, I came across a tank labled: Lava Eye's. I believe, but I could be wrong they are either Tetra's or Barbs.

They appear to be 1-1.5", a pearl white color, with a very bright and fiery neon orange/red 'eyebrow' if you will, hence the name: Lava Eye. I'm not sure the actual species name, and I can't find any info on the profile page.

I'd possibly like to get 2. Anyone have any info on behavior, specs, or real name?

Old 05-07-2004, 01:07 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Got me! I just googled every combination that I could think of and got nothing.
Possibly day glow tetra or headlight tetras??

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 01:27 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to madasafish
Yeah, try "Head and tail light tetra" or "beaconfish." These have an orange light at the caudal peduncle (base of tail) and a red light above the eye. (Neither are bioluminescent, just color).

Tetras usually do better in a group of 6 or more, as most characins are technically schooling fish.
Old 05-07-2004, 11:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
Re: Lava Eye's - Looked in Fish Profile's...anyone have info

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysono
Well, I'm about two weeks out from adding the next few fish in my hopefully cycled tank.
Maybe it's a stupid question, but do you have a liquid test kit? You said your hopefully cycled tank, so it seems like you don't. Just thought I'd ask, because it's a real important thing to have. I didn't have one for a long time, until I started having problems. I needed to test my levels right away, and it was 2am. No chance of getting a test kit then. It's just something that you should always have on hand. To test randomly, and to have in case of emergency.

As far as your question... sorry. I can't help.

-brent
Old 05-10-2004, 01:24 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah, I have a liquid test kit for all the major stuff. Recently got a small spike in Amonia up from .25ppm to .5ppm. I think Ammo-Lock gave a false reading the next day because my test results were the same.

Guy at LFS said not to water change on a new tank for a few weeks, and while I do repect his opinion (he's had the shop for 15-20 years and has very healthy fish), the advice I get here is to go ahead and do 20-25% water chaneg weekly. It's been about 1.5 weeks since my last water change. I've topped off with R/O throughout the week, but no water change and I have noted the increase in amonia.

I may as well attempt a change tonight.

Thanks for the 'beacon' reference. Not sure that is it, I will google it. Was at anotehr store this weekend, and came across a very similar fish that was a Lamp Eye Tetra. It was 'close', maybe a cousin, but the Lava Eye was pretty distinct.

4 - Leopard Danio's
3 - Bleeding Heart Tetra's
1 - Serpae Tetra
1 - Red Wag Platy
2 - Fancy Male Guppies
1 - Ghost Shrimp
jaysono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:31 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Okay, I just found an awesome site: FishProfiles.com.

Didn't really look like a Beaconfish, but was more similar to the Lamp Eye or Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae (species name). I think the Lava Eye may be a substitue name for the Lamp Eye, or a specialized breed for the tail fins were all white as opposed to the pictured Lamp Eye (which had a bit of black coloration on the tail, or otherwise pretty much it)

4 - Leopard Danio's
3 - Bleeding Heart Tetra's
1 - Serpae Tetra
1 - Red Wag Platy
2 - Fancy Male Guppies
1 - Ghost Shrimp
jaysono is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eye, profile

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com