Lava Eye's - Looked in Fish Profile's...anyone have info?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaysono

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, I'm about two weeks out from adding the next few fish in my hopefully cycled tank.

When I was at the LFS the other day, I came across a tank labled: Lava Eye's. I believe, but I could be wrong they are either Tetra's or Barbs.

They appear to be 1-1.5", a pearl white color, with a very bright and fiery neon orange/red 'eyebrow' if you will, hence the name: Lava Eye. I'm not sure the actual species name, and I can't find any info on the profile page.

I'd possibly like to get 2. Anyone have any info on behavior, specs, or real name?

Got me! I just googled every combination that I could think of and got nothing.
Possibly day glow tetra or headlight tetras??

Yeah, try "Head and tail light tetra" or "beaconfish." These have an orange light at the caudal peduncle (base of tail) and a red light above the eye. (Neither are bioluminescent, just color).

Tetras usually do better in a group of 6 or more, as most characins are technically schooling fish.

Re: Lava Eye's - Looked in Fish Profile's...anyone have info

jaysono said:
Well, I'm about two weeks out from adding the next few fish in my hopefully cycled tank.

Maybe it's a stupid question, but do you have a liquid test kit? You said your hopefully cycled tank, so it seems like you don't. Just thought I'd ask, because it's a real important thing to have. I didn't have one for a long time, until I started having problems. I needed to test my levels right away, and it was 2am. No chance of getting a test kit then. It's just something that you should always have on hand. To test randomly, and to have in case of emergency.

As far as your question... sorry. I can't help. :)

-brent

Yeah, I have a liquid test kit for all the major stuff. Recently got a small spike in Amonia up from .25ppm to .5ppm. I think Ammo-Lock gave a false reading the next day because my test results were the same.

Guy at LFS said not to water change on a new tank for a few weeks, and while I do repect his opinion (he's had the shop for 15-20 years and has very healthy fish), the advice I get here is to go ahead and do 20-25% water chaneg weekly. It's been about 1.5 weeks since my last water change. I've topped off with R/O throughout the week, but no water change and I have noted the increase in amonia.

I may as well attempt a change tonight.

Thanks for the 'beacon' reference. Not sure that is it, I will google it. Was at anotehr store this weekend, and came across a very similar fish that was a Lamp Eye Tetra. It was 'close', maybe a cousin, but the Lava Eye was pretty distinct.

Okay, I just found an awesome site: FishProfiles.com.

Didn't really look like a Beaconfish, but was more similar to the Lamp Eye or Moenkhausia sanctaefilomenae (species name). I think the Lava Eye may be a substitue name for the Lamp Eye, or a specialized breed for the tail fins were all white as opposed to the pictured Lamp Eye (which had a bit of black coloration on the tail, or otherwise pretty much it)

Back
Top Bottom