lava rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
i was thinking about setting up a cichlid tank and i was looking at lava rock for the main structure. and then red slate to build caves with. i need opinions on lava rock and what it does to your tank. i heard that they hold alot of bacteria but this is good. any opinions are welcome

I have it in my 55 gal Community tank and absolutely love it. It doesn't raise pH. I've only had it for a week now, but so far I love it.

I bought it for $1.89 a pound. The larger pieces were $19 for the big chunks that have the big passage ways. I bought two large pieces and all of the smaller pieces that they had.

ok ya i just went to big als in my area and they had the lava rock on for 1.49 a pound. i didnt check the prices of the big stuff. thanks for your input.

The big chunks are nice for base layers when stacking. That's what I used for the 55 gal tank and it seems sturdier.

Keep in mind that if you have aggressive fish that spend time in the rocks or you use the rock for hidey holes, it is very abrasive and can injure the fish when they go tearing through the openings.

and i think there can be like some chemicals or something in the holes. like rust or something

Back
Top Bottom