Lava rock in aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaticHooper23

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it okay to have lava rock in an aquarium? And benefits or down sides to having it in an aquarium? How can you make sure it is okay? The product I have is Vigoro Decorative stone red lava; I'm not sure if it is okay but I want to test it

I have always used lava rock I my aquarium it has enormous ammo ts of surface are for bio growth the only thing is yo have to be carefull f you have delicate fish with long fins such as angles.

I like lava rock and +1 to the above comment about the delicate fish they will rub into it and could lead to infection and what not but besides that the only other downside is that you should try and shake em up when you hydro clean or do water changes because they trap a ton of detritus and obviously that leads to poor water quality. Shake em up when your doing your 20-30% water changes or whatever you do and you will have great balanced bio ��

It's in like inch rocks, it's some rocket filter, looks homemade but this one has a capacity for a 75 gal plus, but I got it for 2$ plus shipping on aqua bid

My tank is from substrate to decorations is lava rock even the filter has it it is great!!

Back
Top Bottom