layered sand+gravel, how to keep it clean?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tostada

Aquarium Advice Freak
I like black sand, and I was going to get some low-light plants, so I'm planning on putting Eco-Complete in my 30 gal. hex. It'll probably take almost all of a 20 lb. bag.

I also really like the look of a little black or dark blue gravel on top of black sand (saw a tank like this at LFS). So I was thinking of putting around 6-8 lbs. of small gravel on top of about 18 lbs. of Eco-Complete.

So right now the plan is 20 lbs. Eco-Complete, 5 lbs. small blue gravel, 5 lbs. small black gravel, with the gravel mixed together and put on top.

Is this going to be a nightmare to keep clean? I'm just thinking things might get a little messy using a gravel vac. Is it just not worth layering the gravel on top? I don't really care if it gets mixed up -- it would probably still look cool.

I'm just wondering how people actually go about cleaning sand, or if they just stick some MTS in there and clean it pretty rarely.

I've only ever used gravel before, so I guess I'm mostly just a little worried about everything getting all stirred up and the whole aquarium turning cloudy when I try to clean the sand.

Back
Top Bottom