Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Lazy Betta

Hi guys - I was wondering if I could get advice on something. I've got a male betta and a black phantom tetra (they get along fine) in a 5 gal lightly planted tank.
Fairly recently, my betta has taken a liking to lying on his side all day long. He just kind of flops over and lies down on his side (more than once I've panicked when I've come home, thinking that he's dead). His breathing is normal, and he surfaces when it's time to eat, but he never stays at the top for very long - just eats his food and then sinks back to the bottom. It look as if there's a weight attached to him, or something. Even though his health seems to be fine, I'm worried that this might be problem - anyone ever have a similar experience?

And while I'm posting questions, my *other* betta has recently turned into a fighter - he won't stop attacking his reflection in the glass of his tank! Should I get him a background? Is it unhealthy for him to always be in "attack" mode? They're such a stark contrast!

TIA for any advice you might have!

Old 08-18-2005, 05:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It is normal for bettas to rest on the gravel and leaves and things. Laying on his side may indicate a swim bladder problem. What is your water changing schedule like? How often is he fed? I would try feeding a chopped pea or skipping a day of feeding. Also do frequent water changes.
If your other betta is in attack mode all the time, he will get stressed out. You can try a using a background, or just change the location of his tank.

Old 08-18-2005, 05:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mr86mister
well the weight you are talking about are his beautiful fins, they tend to weigh down a fish and when he doesnt really want to swim, he falls to the bottom and relaxes, its normal...they arent too hyper(unless your betta has a different personailty)

for e.g. i have 2 male bettas, one chills out all day and the other one is hyper as heck

just keep an eye on him to make sure he isnt breathing heavily or is upside-down
Old 08-18-2005, 06:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to tailbarlionfish
i suppose if his breathing is regular and he's eating its a positive sign. Maybe yours has taken to the idea of 'lying down' 8)

I don't think it would be swim bladder otherwise he would be rolling around just trying to get the food and he probably wouldnt be interested in eating if he's rolling around.
2angelfish,3dwarf cichlids(1gold ram,1bolivian ram and 1ram),3corys,3clownloaches and 1zebra loach.
A tank with 3 fighters;1 male, 2 females
Please can you all at least take a look at my post in the unhealthy fish forum. Its called 'whats wrong with my tank'. I really wold like some replies because my fish are dying one by one and i dont want to lose all of them!
tailbarlionfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 06:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jrp1588
My betta likes to rest on the gravel sometimes, but he likes hanging himself up in the plants more. Since I put him in the community tank he's been a lot more active though.
Old 08-18-2005, 07:21 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do you think he is hiding, or just laying on the bottom out in the open? My betta lays around sometimes, but he is usually hiding by some plants or something. Do you think the tetra is stressing him? Some tetras can be nippy if not kept in schools. I wouldn't worry too much unless he refuses to eat.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 03:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Maybe he is just depressed, I know...but bettas can get depressed too. Try a water change and get some Bettamax.

Tags
betta

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com