Lazy Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieRuffio

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys - I was wondering if I could get advice on something. I've got a male betta and a black phantom tetra (they get along fine) in a 5 gal lightly planted tank.
Fairly recently, my betta has taken a liking to lying on his side all day long. He just kind of flops over and lies down on his side (more than once I've panicked when I've come home, thinking that he's dead). His breathing is normal, and he surfaces when it's time to eat, but he never stays at the top for very long - just eats his food and then sinks back to the bottom. It look as if there's a weight attached to him, or something. Even though his health seems to be fine, I'm worried that this might be problem - anyone ever have a similar experience?

And while I'm posting questions, my *other* betta has recently turned into a fighter - he won't stop attacking his reflection in the glass of his tank! Should I get him a background? Is it unhealthy for him to always be in "attack" mode? They're such a stark contrast!

TIA for any advice you might have!

It is normal for bettas to rest on the gravel and leaves and things. Laying on his side may indicate a swim bladder problem. What is your water changing schedule like? How often is he fed? I would try feeding a chopped pea or skipping a day of feeding. Also do frequent water changes.
If your other betta is in attack mode all the time, he will get stressed out. You can try a using a background, or just change the location of his tank.

well the weight you are talking about are his beautiful fins, they tend to weigh down a fish and when he doesnt really want to swim, he falls to the bottom and relaxes, its normal...they arent too hyper(unless your betta has a different personailty)

for e.g. i have 2 male bettas, one chills out all day and the other one is hyper as heck

just keep an eye on him to make sure he isnt breathing heavily or is upside-down

i suppose if his breathing is regular and he's eating its a positive sign. Maybe yours has taken to the idea of 'lying down' 8)

I don't think it would be swim bladder otherwise he would be rolling around just trying to get the food and he probably wouldnt be interested in eating if he's rolling around.

My betta likes to rest on the gravel sometimes, but he likes hanging himself up in the plants more. Since I put him in the community tank he's been a lot more active though.

Do you think he is hiding, or just laying on the bottom out in the open? :? My betta lays around sometimes, but he is usually hiding by some plants or something. Do you think the tetra is stressing him? Some tetras can be nippy if not kept in schools. I wouldn't worry too much unless he refuses to eat.

Maybe he is just depressed, I know...but bettas can get depressed too. Try a water change and get some Bettamax.

Back
Top Bottom