lazy catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mephistopheles

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've got a small (maybe 2 1/2 - 3 inches) catfish that's grey with little black spots all over it's body. I forget the what the species name is (I call him Fluff) and I feel really bad so first of all, can anyone narrow it down? (sorry, no pics) Secondly, he spends 100% of the time that I observe him wedged between two pieces of lava rock. He's not scraped or anything but he just doesn't like to swim or even peek his head out and I assume he only eats when no one's looking. (I've had him for about 6 weeks so I assume he must be eating). Is this normal behavior? or is it something I have to worry about? Maybe he's uncomfortable, I don't know. Should I look for something in the water parameters (i know my pH is pretty high an account of the well water: like 8.2, but everything else looks pretty good)?

Thanks

Does he swim upside down?

I have two synodontis nigriventris that hide all the time. They hide under a log and I only see them if they happen to get hungry or really early in the morning before the tank lights come on.

If its in the synodontis family, I would think its probably normal behavior and not to worry about it. However, I'm thinking of getting two more and seeing if mine feel more comfortable coming out in the open with a group. They're so cute I'd love to see more of them!

There are quite a few different types of Synodontis, they are a African catfish from the congo, zaire river and nile basin areas of Africa. There are a couple of Synodontis that can be found in Lake Tanganyika, Lake malawi and Victoria but mostly they are found in Rivers (Congo, Nile Basin). They range in size from 2.5-3in to 18in.
They do like various ph, so it would be a good idea to find out what one you have. Zaire area ph 6.5-7.5, Congo ph 6-7.5, Lake area Synodontis like very hard water ph 7.5-8.2 and gh 15-35dGH.

Most Synodontis have spots so it can sometimes be a bit of a task to identify, but one of the most common in the hobby is Synodontis Nigriventris or commonly called the upside down synodontis. But that can be misleading sometimes as alot of the synodontis swim upside down.
As for it hiding away, well thats normal. Synodontis are nocturnal and come out at night, they do swim around during the day, but mostly at night.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom