Lazy tank maint.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I wouldn't use a medical dictionary as a complete reference for English grammar.

If you bother to go to my first reference, it is Merriam-Webster online. I would have to say that most people recognize this name. Search for "bacteria" and you will find your answer, including the use of "bacterias" in sentences. Do another search for "inflected form" on Google and you will get the MW explanation of such, and why the inflected form is not included in all reference materials, etc.

You can also enter their unabridged online dictionary, or purchase it and find the same information.

Feel free to contact Merriam-Webster directly as well to ask why in close to 200 years of existence, they are making incorrect information available to the public.

I had never heard of the merriam webster dictionary but i don't understand, what is an inflected form?
Or i should say, what is the correct situation in which to use an inflected form of a word, and why is it not in other dictionaries?

This has gotten way off topic.

Merriam Webster is a very popular dictionary line. One of the best IMO. Different dictionary companies may have differing explanations. Lets just try to keep it civil. :D

I was just curious because i didn't KNOW, i think an inflected form is a way of expressing it but not necessarily considered gramatically correct in all situations.. so in this situation Bacterias was correct... I just didnt' know.

Feel free to contact Merriam-Webster directly as well to ask why in close to 200 years of existence, they are making incorrect information available to the public.

Yikes guys, that was a little harsh don't you think? She corrected someone, yall made Tiffi feel better...then you proceded to tear Ashley up? Wow. Compassion is taught by example not by force. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom