Leaving Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I know there is a thread on here that tells how to leave fish behind. Could someone post me the link? I am leaving for the weekend and don't want to trouble my roommates. Thanks.

If you are only leaving for the weekend, you don't have to really do anything. The fish (if they are healthy) will be fine without food for 2 or 3 days. I didn't feed my fish once for 5 days and they were fine (I wouldn't try any longer than that). Those weekend feeder blocks will foul up the tank more than they will help with feeding - don't use them.

I've had weekends, where I was supposed to be home but had too much fun and never made it home, so the fish went three days without food. They're fine there assuming they are healthy to start. If you're gone longer than that, what you can do is get a pill container and ration out food. That way it's a no brainer for your roommates to dish out the food. Open the day and drop it into the tank.

When portioning out food for someone else to feed, always make sure to hide the rest of the food so that they can't grab extra because the fish look so hungry. Then at least if the dose extra from what you've given them, the fish will just get less a little later on.

When I had discus.. I had to leave them for 4 days... when I got back one pair had spawned. So.. I'd definately say that a short fast isn't anything to be worried about.

When in transport from the supplier to the holding facility to the LFS, I am sure they go longer than a few days between meals, so they won't foul the transport water.

Back
Top Bottom