Leaving Snail Shell in Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a Mystery Snail die and I have an empty shell. I know it's something that can disintegrate over time, but I have MTS in my tank. Won't they use up whatever is dissolving in the tank?

I have a few columbian ramshorn shells in my tank(as well as an apple snail shell) because one of my old angels decided he didn't want to share the tank with the snails. No harm done so far(that i've noticed at least).

The snail that got nibbled by my mum's loach was put outside in the now drained mini pond thing, and when I drained it I found the empty shell, so I cleaned it up and put it back in the tank. The loaches love snuffling about inside of it, so it gives them something to play with... :D

i think the only time it might be a problem is if it is a small tank and you are trying to keep the PH very acidic.

example:

i have a ten gallon that i am using to try and breed apistos, i want the PH >6 and the KH >2, to do this i had to remove all the ramsnails that had hitched a ride on the plants, because as they died the shells were raising my KH and PH :?

if you are not worried about making "ideal" conditions for breeding, then i would not worry about it! :D

It's a 55-gallon. I don't think it should be a problem. I stuffed some Java Moss into the shell and I am using it as an underwater planter.

shouldn't hurt anything, if you were to fill the tank like 2/3 full of shells you might get some sort of hardness issue lol but thats taking things to the extreme

As long as there is nothing in the shell (like part of the snail rotting) its fine to keep it in there. My snail farm (QT tank) is littered with old shells that slowly disintigrate. I consider it free calcium I don't have to add to the water...

Back
Top Bottom