Led light ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grannysneo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have decided that I am going to set up a 20 gallon guppy only tank. I've heard that if you use a black light that it will sterilize your fish. Is the same true of the blue led lights. I'm thinking of doing my tank with some of the glofish decorations

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The blue LED lights are in the ~450nm spectrum. They might create a bit of the "glow-in-the-dark" look, but don't have an adverse effect on fish. Neither do the blacklights, as far as I know.

If you do get an LED, I would get one with combo white/blue diodes. This way the best colors in the decor and the fish are brought out.

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
36g Rescape in Progress!
10g Orchid Endler's N-Class
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have decided that I am going to set up a 20 gallon guppy only tank. I've heard that if you use a black light that it will sterilize your fish. Is the same true of the blue led lights. I'm thinking of doing my tank with some of the glofish decorations

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can use blacklight. Blacklight produces UV rays, and UV lights are used in sterilization; however, blacklights don't produce enough UV radiation to sterilize anything. I'm not sure the effect blacklight may have on the fish's eyes or circadian rhythm though. I couldn't imagine being forced to live in a room that has all these fluorescent colors glowing all around me. Blue LED is fine. If you use blue LED though the different colors won't pop like they would with blacklight. You should look a getting the Current USA Satellite freshwater LED, you can change the colors with a remote and find a setting that you like the most. Plus you can program different color settings.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom