Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-03-2016, 02:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Led light help

I was asked in one of my post about the K rating of the lights on my tank. Unfortunately I bought a 29g kit that came with everything I needed to use the tank. Again unfortunately the only literature with the tank was for the filter. I've taken a magnifying glass and look at everyone of them and found nothing with a K. My question is can I add some kind of plant to my plain Jane tank ? I have a large fake rock for hiding and 2 fake plants in some colored gravel. My tank was a spur of the moment purchase with no knowledge AT ALL! I've had it for 3 months now and with the help of this site I've cycled and only lost 3 fish.

Old 04-03-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would try plants with dark green leaves like Anubias. I've also included a link for low light plants: Excellent List Of Plants For Low Light Tanks - General Aquarium Plants Discussions - Aquatic Plant Central

dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 11:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

With your stock less you won't be able to really grow anything but Anubias like previously suggested or maybe some java fern. Both of these need anchored to tank decor to grow. If their rhizomes (look like roots) are buried in the gravel they will rot and die. If you would like to expand your horizons in terms of plants you can grow, look into this light: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GH9HURE/...l_33dwgusx1j_b
Old 04-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you so much for telling me not to bury it in the gravel. Because I did. It said to do so on the label. I bought on tiny plant to try and see if I can get it to grow. I wished I would have done some research before I bought and set up my tank. Now I feel like I am stuck with the colored gravel and won't be able to really grow anything real. So with any plant I grow I have to anchor to something. Can I ask another question please? I bought some API Leaf Zone to put in the water for the plant. Is that a good one to put in the water? This is our first tank ever, and have only had it for 3 months.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blahblahblah View Post
Now I feel like I am stuck with the colored gravel and won't be able to really grow anything real.
Yes you can grow plants. Check out Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad. Low-Tech tanks can do well in sunlit (NOT DIRECT) rooms. Diana suggests a south facing room.

Quote:
So with any plant I grow I have to anchor to something?
Depends on the plant. Anubias and Java fern - yes

Quote:
Can I ask another question please? I bought some API Leaf Zone to put in the water for the plant. Is that a good one to put in the water? This is our first tank ever, and have only had it for 3 months.
Sure, i use that sometimes.
dcutl002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com