LED lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

richardh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone used the LED lighting strips for aquariums and are they any good?

Are they bright enough to replace the main overhead light. Reason I ask is that the hood light on my aquarium is a bit dodgy and was wondering if I could just replace it with one of these?

Yes, they work very well. They even give you the shimmer effect you can only get with metal bulbs. If you want them to support plant life then be ready to plop down a chunk of change for them (at least a whole bunch of one watts, MarineLand double bright fixture, or a handful of three watts and optics, CREEs, depending on tank size). But for general viewing the cheapo strips do nicely.

Thanks, the room gets natural sunlight in the morning, so the lights are for viewing only. I might give them a try because I really don't trust the light in there at the moment.

richardh said:
Thanks, the room gets natural sunlight in the morning, so the lights are for viewing only. I might give them a try because I really don't trust the light in there at the moment.

Why not just replace the light that's in there?

What type is it? Bulb size? Wattage?

The light works fine, but the hood is not in very good shape, it looks ok from outside, but is cracked inside. I'm trying to save money, yet still have something that looks good

Well if the hood is damaged buying LEDs won't fix that, I understand trying to save money but something that is broken will need replacing sooner or later.

Maybe buy a cheap hood that can use the current bulb you have?

Yeah, long term I might have to. I should be able repair it for now though.

The moonlight led's do look cool though!

Back
Top Bottom