Lego Fish Tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlerob904

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, as promised (in another thread) I took photos of my lego fish tank setup. The tank is currently cycling, so no fish yet! But I finishd my random lego designs. It's not perfect but I think some of it is kind of neat. I threw in a little sponge bob set because hey... why not? Maybe this will spur some other ideas out there, I'm sure I will change it a lot, half the fun of legos is tearing them apart and rebuilding! Let me know what you think!

34rtwu1.jpg
x584yo.jpg
avfvbp.jpg
32znuyx.jpg
11j7ig8.jpg
1r8zuh.jpg

My son's a lego freak. He'll love this. And it gives me an idea for one of my tanks. I've wanted to do an alien/outer space theme but can't find any thing that works. Legos would do the trick!

Thats really cool. Eventually once the algae grows a bit, it'll look better imo.

Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with it. All of the legos are "weighed down" by using platforms on the bottom and covering them with rock, I got creative in a few spots but it worked well, much easier than siliconing them, which defeats the purpose of using legos I think.

nice work
please keep us updated when the cycle completes and the fish are introduced

too bad that the boxfish is a saltwater fish

Haha yeah, that might not work out too well for him. I'll be sure to post pics once i introduce fish to the tank, I was thinking I would get a few low maintenance plants to dress it up a bit too. If anyone has any good ideas lay em on me!

So did you end up assembling underwater, or are the air pockets in the blocks not a problem?

Good work!

So did you end up assembling underwater, or are the air pockets in the blocks not a problem?

Good work!

Didn't worry about it, the seals aren't as air tight as you think so a lot of the air escapes and fills with water anyway. All I did was build everything on platforms. I then covered the platforms with substrate which was heavy enough to weight them down. The legos are only slightly lighter than water so there isn't a whole lot of force pulling them up. Some of the larger structures (krusty krab, red tunnel thingy) fill with water and for the most part stay down with only a bit of rock to weigh on them.

I definitely think it's a contender. I agree that you should wait on the fish though. If you could get a good picture of a fish appearing to interact with the decorations that would be best.

Shouldn't fish be a requirement for that? lol....If it's really a contender I think I'll wait till I get some fish in their after it's done cycling.

actually I don't think it's a requirement. That particular contest judges the layout of the tank, not the stock. Tanks with fish usually win though. I've seen some pretty creative entries on there. The coolest one I've seen was a "polluted" tank. He had like aluminum cans and other junk in the bottom to make it look like a polluted river. It was sort of an environmental statement. It was really cool. Last month a guy took a picture of a tank from like the baltimore aquarium and entered it. The rules state that you don't have to own the tank. He didn't win though.

-C

I still think the best way to present this particular tank is with a picture of a fish stopping at the Krusty Krab drive-through.

Back
Top Bottom