Lemon cichlid with coral substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vega

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I came across a cichlid tank with crush coral substrate and few dead coral as deco. Just wondering, is it ok for cichlid especially smaller species like lemon in those setting?

Coral is used in African Cichlid tanks to raise pH. Lake Malawi and Victoria require a pH of about 8-8.6, while lake Tanganyika requires a pH of 8-9!!!!!!

There is no problem using crushed coral, in fact many many AC owners do (I'm in the process of setting up a tank with crushed coral). Two other options are to place an aragonite sand in the tank or a large number of texas holey limestones. Each of these will increase pH.

One question. I assume that by Lemon cichlid you mean the Electric Yellow Lab, Labidochromis caeruleus. Right? In which case, this is a Lake Malawi cichlid. If you're going to keep them, coral should be just right.

Need to find out what Lemon cichlid it is as there is also a Lemon cichlid from South America or central America not sure which. Apart from that madasafish is spot on.

Why thank you, Terry! Yeah, if it's a South American cichlid, definitely not!!! They require acidic pHs between 6 and 7 (approximately).

I m not sure which species is the 1 i saw as i never studied in detail on cichlid b4. But i was totally enchanted by the tank i saw. It look like a salty tank but it is actually a fw tank.

Anyway i m doing research on cichlid at moment cause there is big possible for me to convert 1 of my tetra tank to cichlid tank.

Btw, do anyone know a algea eater that will cope with these type of water condition?
I m also wander whether ghost shrimp would cope with high pH level as well?

Though plecos are acidic water fish, they are often combined with alkaline-water (high pH) african cichlids.

HOWEVER, if you are buying m'bunas (a particular flock of Lake Malawi African cichlids), they eat algae, and there's no reason to get a pleco. Check out www.malawicichlids.com for the best info.

Beware: M'bunas are very aggressive. They must be put in a tank with a ratio of at most 1 male to each 3 females. 1M:4F is better. I've done a lot, a lot of research into these guys in the last few weeks if you need advice.

The species i m looking for is Lamprologus Leleupi. Its a Tanganyika Lake species :)

Vega.
Great choice the Leleupi.

Here's some info for you.

Habitat : Found in close association with the bottom over rocky shores to a depth of 70m (230ft). Relatively uncommon in waters less than 40m (130ft) deep.

Length : Males up to 10cm (4in);
Females up to 8cm (3.2in).

Sexing : Females are smaller than males, with slightly shorter vertical fins and ventrals.

Compatibility : Extremely agressive towards it's own species. Do not keep more than a single pair in a tank less than 150cm (60in) long. Will pray on tank mates the size of a male guppy. Sexually inactive individuals are otherwise good neighbours in a Tanganyikan community tank. Parental fish behave the same as L. Brichardi.
pairs breed readily if handled in the manner of monogamous cichlids. In a large tank, a single male will usually spawn with all the available females, but generally involves himself in caring only for the last brood of fry he has sired. Spawns can number up to 200 greenish white, ovoid eggs. Unlike L. Brichardi, adult fish do not tolerate the presence of older fry in there territory with the onset of another bout of reproductive activity, so be sure to seperate parents and offspring six to eight weeks after spawning. the young grow slowly and uneven, so sort them by size to prevent sibling cannibalism. Lamprologus leleupi reaches maturity at 18 months and at a size of about 6.5cm (2.5in).

You are probably finding that you didn't realise how aggressive they are, but nearly all Tanganyikans are aggressive. I have successfully bred this fish and giving them the right conditions they will do it quite easily.

I have set up a lake Tan tank myself, using aragonite sand and coral rock, and the pH did not raise appreciably until I put crushed coral in the filter! I have to have sand for the shellies but otherwise I would have used CC as substrate. The action of the water passing through the crushed coral is a more effective way for it to leach out and buffer your water. The mbunas will eat algae but they won't keep the glass clean, or anything. Some keep plecos with them but I like the biotope idea so I will be cleaning me own glass by hand! Ghost shrimp would be a tasty snack for most cichlids, but otherwise could be conditioned to live in higher pH tanks, if you were keeping livebearers or something.

Once again I get to show off my tank!!! Hehehe...I have a 30 gallon lake malawi tank with labidocromis caerules. Between the rocks, sand, and eggcrate to hold up the rocks I spent only $40 (I had all the tank equipment beforehand. Here's the first pic I got without the fish...the rocks are completely moved around now though. They are my first cichlids, and believe me, they are completely different from tetras! I had the same tank set up as an Amazon black water tank with a school of cardinal tetras. Here is the same tank with my black water setup. As you can see, like Tankgirl I like the idea of a biotope, and the mbunas eat the algae. If you want a catfish, the African lakes have a bunch of different types of catfish called synodontis that are native to that region.

Mine FW tetra tank :)

Sindonitis is the family most catfish. Like upside-down catfish they can clean the bottom but they wont clean the glass...

Anyone know specificly what pleco family that tolerate the tank condition?

Btw terry, i think my gf wont be happy if i told her i need a new 150cm long and 70m deep tank HAHAHA :D

african lake cichlids are like my dream tank. i just don't think i really have enough room for them right now, and i live in an apartment and am afraid the rocky tank might be too heavy for the floor. i'm also kind of new to this hobby, and want to try keeping a lot of different species before just committing to just one type of fish.

i am very envious of your tank shawmutt :mrgreen: are those real rocks? it looks beautiful. have you put fish in it yet?

the tank that you described sounds awesome, as well, vega. good luck.

Catalina,

Keep the enthusiasm, bottle it. When you've got a bigger apt, sturdier floors and lots of money, get those cichlids. They're amazing. I'm setting up a Lake Malawi biotope at the moment for my professor, and am so stunned by the beauty of these fish. I have executive power, so I'm determining the species in the tanks. Check out malawicichlids.com to be blown away by some of these species. Good luck in advance!

Jon

Yes, they are real. I bought them at a nursery, I got all those rocks for $25. I put fish in, but I lost a few so I'm rethinking my tank before I put more in. I need to start my canister filter up. When all is said and done I hope to have 8 Yellow labs in there.

Back
Top Bottom