Lend a Hand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicktrubilla

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I live in New Jersey. I am sure all of you are well aware of the plight that my state and the East coast have been going through. Sandy knocked out my power Monday night (of last week), and it was restored this morning at 3 a.m.. This was surely a death sentence for my 20 gallon aquarium (1 dwarf gourami, 2 cories, 1 clown pleco, 9 neon tetra). I had just picked up the cories and was going to get more in a few days, but then the hurricane struck. 10 days without power, and a few sub-freezing nights (with snow) was tough. I didn't have electricity, hot water, or a stove, but I kept all my fish alive by constantly boiling water on the fireplace and using it for hot water changes. I had the tank wrapped with towels at all times to retain as much heat as I could. I'm proud as an aquarist that my fish and I made it through such a difficult time.

I thought you all might enjoy that story, and may it be a lesson to never give up on the animals you are responsible for! Do right by your pets.

I would also like to ask people to donate anything they can toward Hurricane Sandy relief, be it through the Red cross or donating clothes. Every little donation makes a difference in someone's life somewhere.

Glad you and your fish made it through. The boiling water for hot water changes gave me a laugh. But in all seriousness, stay safe.

That is awesome. I think the quickest way out of your own misfortune is to help someone else even less fortunate, and you definitely did just that.

Back
Top Bottom