length of lighting time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishy123

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've searched this a few times on the board, but can't seem to narrow the results enough to find the answers I'm looking for.

How long do you leave your lights on for a fish only tank, and is it necessary to even turn them on in a naturaly well lit room? I've noticed in my friends tank especially, when he turns on the lights, the fish (non nocturnal) get very skiddish.

Thoughts? opinions? experiences?

Just put them on when you want to look at your fish, No need to leave them on otherwise, just leads to algae.

Unless your planted or the tank sits in complete darkness the lights are more for us than them. The timers on all my non planted tanks kicks on at 6pm and off at 10pm.

Isnt it a maximum of 6 hours a day light?
Then after that you can use a night light.
Anything more than that I believe only creates algee. However this might be more applicable to tanks with plants. :)

No, light alone doesn't create algae. If you have immaculate water, you can leave the lights on for 10+ hours a day (not something I'd recommend trying). In planted tanks, you want 8 hours or so. I keep mine on for 7.5. In a non planted tank, as they've stated, just whenever you wanna see the fish.

Lighting Time

Hello Fishy...

If you have tropical fish, then they generally come from a place that has 12 hours of daylight. I have my lights set on timers for 12 hours on and 12 off.

You need to be consistant with your lights. May fish species reproductive systems are linked in part to the amount of light they get.

B

Back
Top Bottom