Leopard Ctenopoma a bad swimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tahl

Aquarium Advice Regular
My leopard ctenopoma has recently started to get bigger and I believe he is having a growth spurt. He seems a little tail heavy and has trouble controlling where he's going when he tries to hover. Usually when he looks down or to a direction his tail will fall over him and he seems to struggle a little keeping his balance (not staying upright, just course correcting).

Is this normal for the species or for growing fish? He looks like an awkward teenager with a large tail and almost disproportionate fins than he did a month or two ago.

I've not know them as bad swimmers. In order to imitate a dead leaf for ambushes, they are usually quite skilled at controlling themselves.

How is the current in the tank?

I've got an Emperor 400 and a Penguin 350 in a 55 gallon on both sides so the current isn't too terribly strong and almost cancel each other out. Over the past two months he's gone from maybe 2.5-3 inches to 4 inches in size from mouth to tail but it doesn't seem like his pectoral or pelvic fins have grown much yet. He's never really done any of the leaf fish behavior that I've heard though and usually swims all over the tank (usually length wise and from top to bottom). He's usually more active than ambush-style so I was wondering if this might be leading up to him getting sick or a growth thing.

Sorry for the Doctor Who in the background, the video was a good illustration of how he can swim. The red-tailed shark and leaf fish are pretty harmonious (generally, but usually the leaf fish is the dominant) but go at it from time to time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom